How to mount trasnducer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Don

Reaction score
I don't want to drill holes thru my boat oris there a good way to do that and how. Though of doing an epoxy glue.
They have one that cost $40 for it so I pass on that.
So please give me some suggestions please.
I have you tube and google it.

I used a piece of Trex decking that I got for free from the local lumber yard. They give small chunks away as samples. Then I used marine epoxy and stuck it to the transom in the desired location. Then, like @airshot said, you can screw the transducer to the piece. Works great. I've gone 2 seasons with it and it's still stuck on the boat and won't come off.

I put transducer plates on all of my boats, and have for over 30 years. If you install the plate correctly, no water will ever get to your hull or even to the mounting bolts.

I used to epoxy or 5200 them on but after having several come off over the years, at the worst possible time, I now typically use (2) 1/4" bolts to secure it along with the adhesive.

I have used a variety of materials, but in the end, I've been happiest with (#1) 3/4" -1" cutting board, (#2) Starboard, or (#3) PVC trim board.

Trex works, but it swells a bit over time, and always works itself off eventually, and water WILL get underneath it. Don't use Trex, but certain other decking without sawdust in it may work.

If you can find some 1" commercial cutting board, that is the end of discussion. Set it up 1/8" from the bottom, screw/bolt it in with lots of sealant in between. It will squeeze out when you tighten down, and run a finger around the perimeter, wipe up the excess and let it cure for a few days.

Important is using the proper fasteners when you install the transducer. You want to pre-drill it properly, and use a proper, coarse-threaded screw, preferably with the sharp tip ground flat for maximum holding power and to prevent cracking the plate.

I typically have several fish finders on my boats, so having a plate makes adding/removing/adjusting them a breeze without worry. I highly recommend it!

I put transducer plates on all of my boats, and have for over 30 years. If you install the plate correctly, no water will ever get to your hull or even to the mounting bolts.

I used to epoxy or 5200 them on but after having several come off over the years, at the worst possible time, I now typically use (2) 1/4" bolts to secure it along with the adhesive.

I have used a variety of materials, but in the end, I've been happiest with (#1) 3/4" -1" cutting board, (#2) Starboard, or (#3) PVC trim board.

Trex works, but it swells a bit over time, and always works itself off eventually, and water WILL get underneath it. Don't use Trex, but certain other decking without sawdust in it may work.

If you can find some 1" commercial cutting board, that is the end of discussion. Set it up 1/8" from the bottom, screw/bolt it in with lots of sealant in between. It will squeeze out when you tighten down, and run a finger around the perimeter, wipe up the excess and let it cure for a few days.

Important is using the proper fasteners when you install the transducer. You want to pre-drill it properly, and use a proper, coarse-threaded screw, preferably with the sharp tip ground flat for maximum holding power and to prevent cracking the plate.

I typically have several fish finders on my boats, so having a plate makes adding/removing/adjusting them a breeze without worry. I highly recommend it!
I'll try it thank you.

Oh, and you can make it as wide as you want. I typically make mine 4" tall and 10-12" wide. That gives me plenty of real estate to move and adjust my placement. Avoid mounting directly behind a strake.

I hope it works out well for you.