How to stow transom mount trolling motor when moving?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cachumabass

Reaction score
I've mounted a transom mount trolling motor on the bow of my 14' aluminum. I switched the head and had a beefy custom bracket mount made. My question.....is the bracket on the motor (not the one I made) strong enough to hold the motor when up in horizontal position when motoring with my outboard? Any one with experience? I'll obviously take it off when trailering.

Not if you're going to motoring with much speed in choppy water. The bouncing of either the motor head or lower unit (depending if you slide the motor up in the mount when onboard) can break an aluminum mounting bracket due to the leverage along the motor shaft. You should get a ram mount or make a wood support with strap to support the end of the motor that is not secured in the motor bracket while motoring.

cachumabass said:
I've mounted a transom mount trolling motor on the bow of my 14' aluminum. I switched the head and had a beefy custom bracket mount made. My question.....is the bracket on the motor (not the one I made) strong enough to hold the motor when up in horizontal position when motoring with my outboard? Any one with experience? I'll obviously take it off when trailering.

I would like to see a picture of the bracket you fabbed.

Latest posts