HP Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czuniga

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

Would a 9.9 HP push a 16 ft ouachita its about 66 inches wide at bottom. It does a very nice job on my 1436 Alumnacraft. I think i need to up grade to a bigger engine, but hand tillers in 35 hps are preaty hard to find down here. There are a couple i have ran into in clist but are steering engines. Has anyone ever converted a remote steering outboard into a hand tiller?

Thanks

Sure it will push it and get it up on plane unless the outboard is a turd.
It will just take a while to get up to speed and wind will slow it down. Get rid of any unneeded weight in your boat.
I wouldn't even try and convert a motor over to tiller. Be patient and something will come along.

I'd be impressed if it gets a 16x66 up on plane if it's got very much gear and people weight inside. I've never tried or seen it tried with a combo like that so it might. As far as converting to tiller, I'd say it depends on the motor. I just finished converting my motor back to tiller from remote. Some motors only require the tiller handle being installed or removed to convert them while others are going to involve more work and parts.

This is the boat im trying to push, and this is the outboard im trying to push it with. speed is not really my priority. as long as it gets me there. But i do think i need to shop aroung for somehting a little bigger.

Attachments

• oauchita 3.jpg
    oauchita 3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,232
this is the engine

Attachments

• IMG_20111231_113256.jpg
    IMG_20111231_113256.jpg
    667.9 KB · Views: 1,230
I would agree that is a lot of boat for a 9.9. As you said if you are not worried about speed it will get you there eventually. Something to consider, those 9.9's came with a 9x10 pitch prop, if you drop it down to a 9x8 pitch it would keep the engine up in it's powerband a little better (been there done that with a 14 ft utility V-bottom)

BB stacker,

would changing my propeller give me a little more speed?

I don't know about more speed, it might, maybe a mile or two per hour just because it would be able to keep in it's powerband a little better. My main concern would be to keep the revs up to keep the engine from lugging, lugging is not good, it can lead to excessive carbon buildup.

Guarantee it will plane the boat and do a decent job. As has been stated, you may need to pitch down but would run the boat/engine as it before determining that.
Nice thing about that boat is the large planing surface area and subsequent light surface loading. You may like it. For that engine you can always source a 15hp carburetor and exhaust megaphone. If it has been a saltwater engine you will want to pull the powerhead anyway at some point and replace the water tube grommets as they have a tendency to swell shut after running in salt.

Thanks for the into guys. I will definitely look for another prop. I will get her in the water this Sunday. Is there any way I can actually measure my MPh. Is there any way to intall a tachometer.on these Outboards. Or how would I be able to measure my exact speed. Sorry for all my questions but I'm fairly new. To boating.

As Pappy said give it a try before switching out your prop it may work OK for you as is. On the boat I had it was OK with the 9x10 as long as you had no one else and not much stuff with you in the boat, once I had a passenger it just didn't have quite enough umph to get on plane and you could tell by listening to the engine that it was not winding up, the 9x8 fixed that letting it wind out as it should.

thanks i will be giving it a try tomorrow or maybe sunday. However i would really like to at least put wooden floors and there will be several of us fishing off it, So it will be quite loaded. Once i get my hands on a 25 or 35 hp, i will start looking into some modifications for the mean time i think i will definately start looking into another prop. One last question, original paint is not peeling off, overall its preaty good. i just wanna give it an even coat probably tan also. is there any thing i can pick up at home depot or lowes. i was wondering if an oil based paint would do the job.

thanks

If you are referring to a hydrofoil or whale tail then yes. They can plain you out faster while keeping you from porpoising.

Hello.

Was in the water today four Guys about 850 lbs. Pushed us really nice. Cavitation plate is about 4 inches beneath bottom of boat. Might raise it if it improves performance.

Hello.

Was in the water today four Guys about 850 lbs. Pushed us really nice. Cavitation plate is about 4 inches beneath bottom of boat. Might raise it if it improves performance.

I did have problems with 9.9 could only get it to start on reverse or foward. Could not stay I n idle. Any ideas what could it be?

Latest posts