hp ratings, are they flexible?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seif5034

Reaction score
My cousin is letting me take his '77 Yarcraft Yankee trailor and all. (some of you might remember this boat from this summer) It needs some transom work then it'll be okay for the water but he sold the outboard #-o pity, johnson 70hp seahorse...gone. :(
I read elsewhere on the net the power rating for this hull is 70hp max. So I was wondering, since I'll most likely be buying 2nd hand, if I can get a good deal on a 75 or 80 will it be okay or will it break something? For those of you who don't know It's a fiberglass hull with plywood on the inside.

I know that a 70 will work since that's what was on it before. Which worked well to an extent on my cousin's half-baked "repair". (he didn't replace rotted out wood [-X )

This is a liability issue but here is my opinion.Do as you wish at your own risk.A boat is set for a certain weight that can safely hang on the transom and enough power to push the boat without flexing or breaking the transom.I think I would redo transom,brace it very well, and use aluminum plate on the outside of the wood.Then I would hang a motor with the same weight rating but with more power.

The only time that hanging a larger hp engine may be an issue (outside of the weight factor) is if you were going to get insurance on the boat.

You can't judge weight class by hp anymore. Today's 4 strokes are much heavier than 2 strokes of the same hp.

the max hp rating is there for a reason... if you get caught with an overpowered motor on your boat it could and should cost you some $$$$$$$$$$

redbug said:
the max hp rating is there for a reason... if you get caught with an overpowered motor on your boat it could and should cost you some $$$$$$$$$$

Not in KY or TN it won't unless it was used to prove negligence after a boating accident.

Seif, you need to check your state laws regarding boating regulations but it is not a ticketable offense in all states simply to have a higher hp engine than what is on the placcard.

alrighty, I'll check the laws. I like the idea of aluminum plate that would make me a bit more comfortable with the repair.

Thanks a lot guys :)

I aluminum plated the back of my boat over top the transom wood. This summer, the wood will need to be replaced, but the installation of a CMC tilt/trim added about 45 pounds to the weight. Didn't want to take any chances.

Latest posts