I caught my first snook.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooky1420

Reaction score
So I was working today, and I was on a job. After I was done I was on my way back to my office and there was an intersection blocked for an accident. Traffic was seriously backed up. So I drove my Jeep over the median and headed back south, looking for a side road to turn on. I ended up on Orange Drive, which borders the Davie Canal in Broward County. Driving parallel to the canal I thought to myself... The boss isn't in today... What would it hurt if I just stop for a few casts?!?! So I did. (I always keep a rod and a small essentials tacklebox in my Jeep for times like these)

I got out of my truck and walked down to the bank. Water looked great. The sun was shining above and the air was cool, no humidity, about 72 degrees. I thought to myself - heck, this is a perfect day for fishing!!!

I slap on a Mepps Spinbait and threw it out there. So I'm reeling it in, and I visually can pick up the spinner through the water glimmering in the sun. Just before it reached 5 feet from the bank, I saw a flash of silver and felt that tug we all hope for...

Landed this fish... I had never caught a snook before, but I recognized it. Snapped the photo and then released it immediately. Note: I have always wanted to taste snook because I heard it is one of the best tasting fish out there, but I did not want to suffer the felony charge the State of Florida will slap on you if you take these from the water out of season, especially without the required snook license. He was a little guy anyway compared to some of the snook I've seen in photos... 17 inches, 2.2 lbs.

Looks a little dirty because it was flopping around on the bank before I was able to pick it up. I was so excited to finally catch a snook that I didn't realize that my ankles were being bitten by fire ants (I was obviously standing on their mound).

I called it a day at that point... Figured it couldn't have gotten any better to catch one on my first cast!

Attachments

• Snook 1-7-11.jpg
    Snook 1-7-11.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 219
That is freaking awesome - I guess we know that your boss might get used to you getting "caught" in traffic :LOL2:

congrats on your first.... when snook season opens up sometime after august 31st, take a trip down to Flamingo and try to get yourself a keeper.... they are some of the best tasting fish.... Make sure you take the skin off as snook is known as the "soap fish" for having a very distinct taste when cooked with the skin left on....

As a born and raised southern floridian, I miss the hunt for snook on a daily basis..... I currently reside in Dunnellon, which unfortunately is not close to any great snook fishing.... Appreciate the fishery and keep at it!

Danny