I got an Unbelievable deal on a boat!!!! Now I need HELP!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majorpede

Reaction score
So theres a local neighborhood pond by my house. Its surrounded by homes, and most of there backyards there are boat's I have seen sit in the same spot for years of fishing here. Well while fishing on Thursday afternoon I heard an old couple arguing about something Or rather the wife telling (in the same voice my wife uses on me LOL) the husband she needed more room for her garden. Then she said ask him if he wants it. I then turn to the Older gentleman, and asked if would consider selling the boat, and he told me well if you can find someone to help you move it come and get it. So yesterday (Friday) I became the new, and proud owner of a Lowe 1436l

I know I want to be all electric, 90% of everywhere I fish here in Fayetteville are all electric lakes and ponds. What I don't know is what to do, and were to start. Is it big enough for safe decking. This is my first ever boat, and will be only my second time ever on a boat when I have it to the level I will fill comfortable launching for the first time. So I need good suggestions from you guys, and thanks for the help in advance.
Here's the pics.

Oh and the gray stuff is some kind of rubbery putty they used to seal the leaks in the rivets. I am all about striping that stuff and doing a better job. Im also going to have to find a trailer, but know nothing about what kind or how wide or long it needs to be.

100_2330.jpg

100_2329.jpg

100_2328.jpg

100_2327.jpg

100_2326.jpg

100_2325.jpg

100_2324.jpg

100_2323.jpg

100_2322.jpg

100_2318.jpg

100_2316.jpg

Free always tends to make a guy smile :D I would start off by removing all of that putty junk, then rebuck all of them rivets. To rebuck them just hold a chunk of steel or sledge hammer to the inside of the rivet, and hit the outside of the rivet with a hammer. Then put the boat up on some saw horses and fill er' up with some water to check for leaks. Good luck, and great find. =D>

How will I know when I have hit them enough times?

Will I physically be able to tell or do I just do them all check for leaks, and hit the leaky ones again until they stop leaking or leak as little as possible? I have zero experience with rivets.

Thanks for responding I have all ready started to scrape off that silly puddy stuff I don't see how they felt safe on it with that stuff.

Majorpede said:
do I just do them all check for leaks, and hit the leaky ones again until they stop leaking or leak as little as possible?

This is the method that you should use. Be careful when you hit them because it doesn't take a great deal of hammering. You might mash them so flat that you have to replace them otherwise.

I see something in your pics that you will probably have to have someone with a welder take care of. It looks like they removed the bung for the drain plug and had a patch welded over it. I guess that's okay if you keep the thing sitting upside down (and it doesn't leak a whole lot) but if you are going to get a trailer for it, it will need a drain plug.

Sweet boat! As far as decking I wouldn't go too high. I think I would just put a floor over the ribs between the seats so you have flat area to stand on. Maybe even raise the front floor to the very front rib but if you go as high as your seats youll probably get a little tippy.

I'm not sure what its for but there's a hole on the rear (guess I'm going to have to learn the nautical terms) of the boat you can't see it on the pictures to well. Would this be a drain plug like you mention? Or is it ma bee for something else.

edit
100_2324-1.jpg

basshunter25 said:
Sweet boat! As far as decking I wouldn't go too high. I think I would just put a floor over the ribs between the seats so you have flat area to stand on. Maybe even raise the front floor to the very front rib but if you go as high as your seats youll probably get a little tippy.

Thats what I thought, ok now I'm getting a good Idea of how to do this.

Froggy said:
Is it like a 1 inch round hole, like a tube when you put your finger in? thats a drain plug.

I put a pic up, but that sounds right on the money.

That's it. The picture from the inside looked like a hole where one used to be with a plate welded over it.

Free is good. I had one last winter for a couple months until it sold. Decent boat, almost a canoe as far as stability goes.

I guess my question is what are you going to do with it?

What type of fishing? Bass, Cats, Bluegills. Anchored of moving? Summer, winter, day or night?

What kind of access do your ponds have? Ramps or bank launch? I'd be all over craigslist looking for a cheap utility trailer you could morph into a boat hauler. Something light so it moves easily.

Personally I'd try to design it light weight and simple layout. Lay it out so you can do everything from one spot, probably from the rear seat. Transom trolling motor, an anchor cleat back there. Batteries up front. Rod storage on one side. Probably get a sheet of 1/8" aluminum and just deck between the ribs with insulation board built up to make a flat deck. Get one of the nice Tempress seats so it's comfortable and enjoy. To me it's a bit too narrow to be a comfortable stand up boat.

I guess another question is what skills and tools do you possess to get the work done?

Looks like a fun boat that's been used well and well used.
Jamie

Ranchero50 said:
Free is good. I had one last winter for a couple months until it sold. Decent boat, almost a canoe as far as stability goes.

I guess my question is what are you going to do with it?

What type of fishing? Bass, Cats, Bluegills. Anchored of moving? Summer, winter, day or night?

What kind of access do your ponds have? Ramps or bank launch? I'd be all over craigslist looking for a cheap utility trailer you could morph into a boat hauler. Something light so it moves easily.

Personally I'd try to design it light weight and simple layout. Lay it out so you can do everything from one spot, probably from the rear seat. Transom trolling motor, an anchor cleat back there. Batteries up front. Rod storage on one side. Probably get a sheet of 1/8" aluminum and just deck between the ribs with insulation board built up to make a flat deck. Get one of the nice Tempress seats so it's comfortable and enjoy. To me it's a bit too narrow to be a comfortable stand up boat.

I guess another question is what skills and tools do you possess to get the work done?

Looks like a fun boat that's been used well and well used.
Jamie

Im going to be using it for bass, crappie, and bluegill all on electric ponds. Spring summer and fall.

The ponds Here are all electric only so Im going to be using trolling motors only. Bank launching