I may have found one. 12' grumman

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DahFISH

Reaction score
What do you guys think? My friend has had this in his back yard (we share a common line) for 2 years and it has not moved. He is in his 70's and I don’t believe he is going to be using it any time soon. I would like some input from the pros here, before I talk to him. I would like to deck it out and make it into an electric only so no gas engine, no live well, just storage and batts. First I'm 6'2" 290+- will this work for me? Second how much is a fair offer for the rig?
IMG_1734.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg

grummin.jpg

Thank for any input
Lar

Just sold one of those, a 1997 model, cause I needed the money to put on a boat that I could do a conversion on. The boat is a model 1256, and is 56 inches at the beam. The bottom was only like 36 or 38 where it started to round upward. (Being a vee, it had a round chine, so no definitive measuring point) For reference, I am 6' 3" (kinda tall for 14) and 150 pounds. I found that standing on the seats just wasn't going to work at all. I wanted a deck in something, and I determined that if I can't safely stand on those seats, it wouldn't be a good candidate at all for a deck. I had a bit of trouble standing on the very bottom, and operating the foot control. You had to keep on the centerline, for the most part, especially in the bow.

This thing would be great if you fish sitting down, with a transom troller and outboard, or even to troll with (as is obvious with his rod holder at that angle) but it doesn't do well when standing.

Now, for a reasonable offer. I sold mine for 825, boat and trailer. The boat was a 1997 in near perfect condition. The trailer was an older one, but had everything new a year ago, so functionally, it was a 1 year old trailer. Also, it was quite a bit solider than that one (back in the 50s, the trailer that fits a 12 footer would also be used for a 15 footer and larger, and 12 footers went on the roof rack - so they were made a lot sturdier) I don't know what year that one was, but it is on a galvanized trailer, which is plenty big enough for that boat. I would say give or take 900 for that combo.

It has a NJ tag - what year? (I think red was 2003?

Also, since it has a NJ registration, find out if it has been used in the salt, they can mess up a trailer fast.

I woudl say $500.00 for teh bare bones (nothing but boat and trailer)

thanks guys,
Its an '06 sticker and he did keep it at his shore house, I am guessing he used it for crabing in the bay. I was concered about the size, I prefer to stand but if I can get a good price I'll get used to sitting. It might actually be a nice change of pace.

Lar

Cast&Blast said:
thanks guys,
I prefer to stand but if I can get a good price I'll get used to sitting. It might actually be a nice change of pace.

Lar
I thought the same thing. I got mine for a steal. We juggled trailers around, and put one we already had under it, and sold the other one, but I ended up having about 600 or so in the bare boat, completely restored trailer, and a 1988 Evinrude 4 horse Deluxe. Well, I didn't like it, but sold the boat and trailer for 825, and still have the Evinrude 4 deluxe to use as a kicker on my next boat. (as if I didn't have enough kicker size motors as it was) But, the long and short of it was, I didn't get used to it like I thought I would.

I hear you. I dont think this boat is going anywhere and I really would like a 14' mod V, so I'm in no rush. But this may be a nice boat to do my first build on.

Last year I bought a 1957 14' V-Bottom Richcraft boat in almost new condition. it has a 60" beam. I paid $400 for the boat and trailer.

The trailer was home made, but pulls very well.

There is no way I can stand on one of the seats unless I'm ready to go for a swim! :roll:

If stability, when standing, is important to you, you might want to look for a flat bottom Jon boat. The wider the better...but, at least 48-inches. IMHA

Good luck,

Bill

Attachments

• 14' boat1.jpg
    14' boat1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 2,135
Thanks for the input guys. Im going to see if he is willing to part with his 12' tomorrow. I have been playing with some layouts and since this will not be a tourney rig, I'm going to make a more relaxed sit down rig.

bob.jpg

So far I like this. I welcome any sugestions that you may have.

Lar

Cast&Blast said:
Thanks for the input guys. Im going to see if he is willing to part with his 12' tomorrow. I have been playing with some layouts and since this will not be a tourney rig, I'm going to make a more relaxed sit down rig.

bob.jpg

Lar

Very nice man! Awesome job with the layout and design.

Cast&Blast said:

bob.jpg

Lar

The proposed decking looks great!

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that the boat is rated for 410 pounds total. With your stated weight of 290 + pounds, that leaves only 120 pounds for the trolling motor, battery, the decking and other gear, such as a boat anchor, fishing rods, etc.

And if you should plan on carrying someone with you..... :shock:

Build very light! :lol: :lol:

Bill

The stated weight on that boat is a bit off from what it should be. With my dad: 225, me: 150, motor: 50, TM, battery, fuel tank: 100, fishing gear etc, we never had any problems, or felt as if the boat was going to have problems, even in 2 foot breakers and swells.

I had toyed with that exact same layout were I going to keep it. 2 minor issues. First of all, unless you have a powerdrive, or MG wireless series motors (which are worthless in my opinion) you need to have support under the head of the trolling motor when folded. The standard cable steer motors have a lot of weight at the head, and when folded, this weight is supposed to rest on the little foot on the back, and transfer the weight to the deck. But, with your design, the little foot isn't touching anything, and when I had it clamped on, it felt like it was going to rip the bow off. Basically, you would need something for that little rubber foot to rest on, and transfer the weight down to the seat.

Second of all, with the deck in that position, the cable on many cable steer TMs isn't quite long enough to reach the lower deck. Routed either under the front seat, it wouldn't reach the head when folded, and over the seat, I think it barely wouldn't reach the deck. I believe the difference was that my deck woulda been 4 inches higher than the bow seat, and it just barely wouldn't work, so if you kept as low as the bow seat, you would probably be just barely able to squeak by. These motors seemed to be designed to be on bass boats, with raised decks, so the length wouldn't be a problem.

Also, don't expect to stand on that raised bow deck. Or, if you do, be prepared to swim.

I knew the length for the tm might be a problem. I remember my father-in-law had a pontoon boat many years ago with a tm cable that went all the to the stearn. There is a Minn Kota PowerDrive that has an 18-ft. cord that I'm looking at as an option.
I'am concerned with the weight but after reading you reply bassboy1 I feel better. I have no plans to put a gas motor on or take this to any big water and I have no problem with keeping my butt in a seat.
Thanks guys I'am still on the fence with this, so every comment is a help.

Lar

That brings me to another question. What lb. thrust tm can I getway with?
I know bigger is better with this but I'm no Bill Gates. My PT 165 only has a
42, it does the job could better, but it works. This is what I'am looking at

Power Drive

I had a 50 PD on mine, and it pulled at a very reasonable elec lake speed. I was often faster than the guys with the 20 foot rangers, when they were on there trolling motor. But, I found that to control it well, I had to be in the back, and have a rudder. Course, my battery was up front. If you put your battery astern, and all heavy things astern, and have a rudder, you could probably be in the front just fine.

Yeah I can see with little weight in the back she will want to pinwheel on me with any breeze. I was concidering two batts. one at the bow and astern, with a trans. mount tm for general motoring around. Does this sound like it might work as well?

Cast&Blast said:
That brings me to another question. What lb. thrust tm can I getway with?
I know bigger is better with this but I'm no Bill Gates. My PT 165 only has a
42, it does the job could better, but it works. This is what I'am looking at

Power Drive

I know my messages here are always sounding negative....and I sure don't mean to come across that way. However, here goes! :lol:

Why are you considering a foot operated trolling motor if you are not considering standing up on the bow of the boat?

I have tried to hand operate a foot controlled TM and it is much harder than operating a bow or transom mounted tiller controlled TM! :cry:

My one-brain cell suggestion would be to mount the batteries near the bow and install a tiller controlled TM on the transom. I have used TM's on the transom and found that they worked very well for me.

Tiller operated TM's are so much cheaper than foot operated TM's! :shock:

Good luck whichever way you go.

Bill

Looking at your lay out thoughts and seeing that your like me 6'4" 290ish (that is the proper term) LOL you may want your decks lower in the boat or it will be very unstable all your weight will be above the sides and any leaning one way or the other may send you for a dip.
One other thing to remember the weight limit is 410lbs . Can you go over that yeas but should you? you will be compromising your safety. Again if you lower your decks you would be okay going a tiny bit over the limit.
as for a trolling motor the motor guide has a remote steer option the controller is the size of a remote control

Wayne