I Need Your Help Choosing My New Reel, Please!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

• Ardent C400

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Shimano Curado E

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Shimano Citica E

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Daiwa Advantage - HSTA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quantum Energy PT

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Pflueger Patriarch

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Abu Garcia Revo SX

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
Wow, what all can i say about the Powell Max. It is fantastic! I took a Crankin Carrot Stix back and bought this rod and i could not be happier. I got out today to do some fishing, and found some big ol' slab Crappies that were spawning and they were just killing the Red Eye Shad! Also found a good pocket of Bass, the biggest only being about 2.5 Lbs. I only had 1 fish come un-hooked and it was my fault. I was trying to test the limits of the rod and got a little carried away. LoL. I was a little worried about the #6 power of this rod, but it seems to be just perfect. I wasnt planning on using this rod for lipped, and lipless crankbaits, but i think i will try it.

Bringing the Carrot back was a good gamble, it was good for lipped baits, but just didnt meet my needs for the lipless. I also think the Powell is more sensitive, and stronger. The cork handles are lovely also (i hate the foam junk). The ONLY thing i dont like about this rod is the hook keeper. It is down all the way on the blank in between the split grips, right where i pick my rods up at. The butt piece of cork could be a little longer too, but those two things are just nit-picking.

I know how you feel, I am soooo happy with my powell max. Of course I have not caught anything on it yet, but the fishing around here for bass has been crap lately. It will heat up soon though. I got mine a little over a month ago and have been using it since. I have a 7'6" Hvy ex-fast telescoping rod. I got it mainly for jigs and frogs, but it will definately be seeing some swimbait action. I agree that the hook keeper is in a bad spot, especially if you are using a bait with trebles, but with jigs and other single hook baits its not bad at all. I will definately be adding many additional powells to my collection, for the money, they are one of the best rods out there. Another great thing about powell is the huge selection of sizes and actions.

Good luck with your rod.

Sweet rod I was looking at powell for a while, for both a flipping stick and crankin rod, I ended up going in different directions on both, maybe next time Ill go for a powell.

BLK fisher said:
I have the Powell 7'6" rattletrap rod and it is awesome. They make a great rod for the money and I hear thier customer service is grat too.

They make a rod specifically for rattletraps??? I must have missed that.....

Latest posts