I was the idiot at the boat launch.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nlittle

Reaction score
Hi,
I got the boat off fine (easy part), went fishing and then had a wicked time getting the boat back on. Is there a link here or online for a how to? I know I need to practice but if I practice crap I will be good at crap. :) This was my first time and I really want to learn to do it by myself.

Thanks!!!!

I have both.... rollers in the middle but bunks at the very back. Also, I definitely did not back in FAR enough this time and muscled it onto the trailer. (battery and troller in back) There was no dock just the ramp so I almost needed waders to get her in place....

I just saw pics of your rig on the other thread. Just like my little tinny. So here is the thing with our ultralight boats. Have the bunks just below the surface. The front part of the bunk may be out of the water, depending on how steep the ramp is. Just get it on the trailer, drive it up if you can hit the center roller, or winch it up if needed. Pull it out to the loading area and then center the boat if needed. That is the great thing about these boats is you can lift it and move them around on the trailer if it isn't straight.

Thanks...I think part of our issue was that it was windy and no one was in the boat...we were just trying to pull it around by the bow rope. Do you have those guide ons? Does it help for you?

Been there, done that.
Couple of things that help...
Back the trailer in deep enough to wet the bunks completely, even if you pull it up some to load. The wet bunks help it glide on easier.
If you're "power loading" use a little speed...without it you can't really steer.

And yes, guide-ons really help, or at least they do on mine. Trick is to get the guide-ons really close to the boat, like an inch or so, that way they force the boat to be in the correct position. I have this type...Cabelas Guide On

RivRunR is right on with his "trick". I have about an inch of clearance on each gunwale and the guide-ons are really effective in quick and accurate retrieving.

some form of guideons are definately a help. with a vhull it can be a pain sometimes with rollers on trailers. i eventually took the middle roller off my trailer, because if i didnt pull the bow dead center over that 1 roller the boat would turn nearly sideways on the trailer.

like some otheres i dont drive boat onto trailer much easier and faster for tin boats to use a rope to load/unload, im usually at the ramp for 1-2 minutes at a time

Driftingrz said:
i eventually took the middle roller off my trailer, because if i didnt pull the bow dead center over that 1 roller the boat would turn nearly sideways on the trailer.

Do you mean the one at the back of the trailer where the bunks are? I only have 3 rollers..one at that back, middle and bow.
Then 2 3ft bunks supporting the transom.

I do not try to power my boat onto the trailer. The one time that I did I capsized it right there. The wind was blowing quite a bit and I could not get a straight shot at the trailer so after 2 times trying to get a good aim I came into the trailer at a pretty good speed and I hit one of the guide ons (homemade) and it just capsized me right there. So, now I unload and load the boat by using about 40' of rope I tied to the bow handle. I have a 15' Alumacraft jon boat so it being so light it is hard to handle at the ramp with a wind blowing. The guide ons definately help.

Yes, it is light and blows around. A longer rope sounds like a good idea too....more manuverability.

I noticed that you considered making a set of post guide-ons using PVC and ladder stablizers. I have a small 10' mod-v and had the same problems. The post guide-ons made all the difference for me on a windy day. I left the pvc pipe loose so that it would roll on the metal upright and drilled a hole in the top of the pvc to keep it from floating off the metal upright. On calm days I flip the rope between the guide-ons, push the boat into the lake and pull it on between the guide ons. On windy days, I try to let the wind drift me to the guide-ons and power on. The guide-ons also aid me in backing the empty trailer down the ramp. The post guide-ons were the best addition I made to my trailer.

I found mine in the bargin cave at Cables they seem to run about $65 online.
https://www.amazon.com/Seasense-Tra...760369&sr=8-1&keywords=boat+trailer+guide+ons

nlittle said:
Driftingrz said:
i eventually took the middle roller off my trailer, because if i didnt pull the bow dead center over that 1 roller the boat would turn nearly sideways on the trailer.

Do you mean the one at the back of the trailer where the bunks are? I only have 3 rollers..one at that back, middle and bow.
Then 2 3ft bunks supporting the transom.

The eay you describe your trailer it sounds just like minr. I just prettied mine up recently. I did mean the actual middle roller. Rear supports some weight amd front is needed with the short bunks.. middle one just got in the way

2013-04-02_18-15-38_475_zpsaf23289e.jpg

3abc68d1-c76f-404d-96e5-5cd3d0f4fc4a_zpsdeadf4a3.jpg

Thank nlester, I will keep an eye out for those.

Driftingrz, the trailer set up is the same. Although your front roller is farther back than mine...mine is much closer to the winch. Maybe I will remove my middle and pull my front back toward the middle more. I am so unsure how much support the boat needs, and where. Will try to post some other pics.
Is you back end supported by just the binks or also the roller?

The rear roller is set to support a good portion of the stern. The keel? That runs down the bottom of the boat.

The hull rests on the bunks. And of course the front portion of boat is on front roller only

Hmmm i wii have to check but i dont think i have a keel that goes all the way back. Not in the middle anyway.... I think there are two dividing the bottom in thirds.... The trailer is from another boat. Maybe i need to switch to a flat roller instead of a V type, except for the front.

a flat roller may be a good option for you. this picture might make a little more sense. main keel and 2 smaller ones but mostly flat where the bunks support hull

https://s6.photobucket.com/user/DriftingRz/media/2013-04-24_16-00-51_463_zps98cd601d-1_zps23cad867.jpg.html

Thanks for the pic. I checked and just have the two side pieces. There is no keel down the middle. The v goes about 1/3 and is welded. Then becomes relatively flat. There are no extra pieces riveted to the hull. The only rivets are for the internal ribs and seats. Seems like the v roller probably puts undue pressure in the 2 spots where it sits. Flat probably is better.

Latest posts