I was the idiot at the boat launch.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iboats has them on sale right now.
https://www.iboats.com/Guide-Pole-Kit-no-lights-40-Seasense/dm/cart_id.298051440--session_id.516583695--view_id.730998

Yeah, getting the boat back on is a little harder , then off. For me I just get wet, up to the butt wet....I go in deep (when I go to the electric motor only lake, can't drive the boat on the bunkers) . I don't mine getting soaked, what's important for me is the boat gets on right. It will get easier with practice.

I have the guide pole kit on mine...sure makes it easier all around, can use them as guides when backing the trailer as well as put my jon back on. Plus put my lights on them to keep them out of the water and more visual for people behind me.
Good investment I think.

I was the idiot the first time I retrieved my boat last Thursday. Put it in fine and fished most of the day. When we got done I used the trolling motor to try to line up on the trailer, but was still a little off. I muscled it onto the rollers and then my parking brake decided it didn't want to hold the trailer and boat on the ramp any more. I was stjck holding my boat in one hand and pushing my truck up the ramp with the other until my brother could get on the brakes to stop it. When I got the boat tied off and tried to leave the ramp the boat decided it liked the water better and slid right back off. The second time I had it all secured and called it a day. It was a learnin experience to say the least.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=318556#p318556 said:
Hanr3 » Today, 19:30[/url]"]I'm interested in hearing more about using a rope to load. How do you center the boat to the trailer?
You just flip the rope over sideboard and pull. The sideboards will center the boat when you pull it onto the trailer. Of course for this method you will need to have sideboards on your trailer. :lol:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=318576#p318576 said:
JMichael » Today, 00:00[/url]"]
Hanr3 » Today, 19:30[/url]"]I'm interested in hearing more about using a rope to load. How do you center the boat to the trailer?
You just flip the rope over sideboard and pull. The sideboards will center the boat when you pull it onto the trailer. Of course for this method you will need to have sideboards on your trailer. :lol:

The same here but I have four advantages that make it easy to pull the boat on with a rope. I have a mod-v with a pointed bow (not a flat bow), my guide-ons are at the very back of the trailer, I can remove my trolling motor before I start loading and my guide-ons don't leave any place for the rope to get hung up. The main thing is if the boat gets off to one side, keep constant pressure on the rope and let the boat swing it self around the guide-ons.

Hanr3 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:30 pm[/url]"]I'm interested in hearing more about using a rope to load. How do you center the boat to the trailer?

Leave enough of the bunks out of the water so that it somewhat self centers when you start winching it up. I've not seen any mention of using the trailer winch in here. That's the easiest way to hand load one once it gets on the bunks. You're going to get wet wading back to hook the bow eye, though.

Guides make a world of difference when you have a cross wind.

I had a trailer very similar to the photos Driftingrz posted with a couple of exceptions my guide-on consisted of arms forward and aft of the bunks with side-planks covered in Astroturf on them, that made getting on the trailer really easy. I added a couple of 2"x6" on top of the tongue with anti-slip finish on them so you could walk off the tongue without slipping as much.

Good advice here. I might add that guide-ons and the right length of rope secured to the winch post make launching a lot easier as well. Most times you ever need to get wet, even when boating alone.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=318787#p318787 said:
Uncle Jesse » Yesterday, 14:23[/url]"]I had a trailer very similar to the photos Driftingrz posted with a couple of exceptions my guide-on consisted of arms forward and aft of the bunks with side-planks covered in Astroturf on them, that made getting on the trailer really easy. I added a couple of 2"x6" on top of the tongue with anti-slip finish on them so you could walk off the tongue without slipping as much.
I need to do this, It will help a lot.

In the summer I don't mind getting wet. However it's a different story in the spring and fall when the temps can be around freezing.

Side guides- check.
Winching would be easy, matter of getting the hook on the eye without getting wet- that wont happen with my current set-up. I did see someone with a long 6-8' pole that held the hook so they could reach out and attach it to the bow eye. That might be a good option. I'll have to look around and see if I can find one, or make one.

OR I could attach a tow rope about 40' long to the bow cleat while at the dock, wrap it around a pulley I would install to the winch post. Back the trailer in far enough to float the boat on, and pull the rope through the pulley. Heck, I could even sit int eh drivers seat, back up and pull the pull onto the trailer through the rear hatch. Hits the bow stop, pull it out. Hmmmm.....

I may have everything I need in the garage already. The wheels are turning now. :roflmao:

Are you not allowed to power load one in your area? That is the only way to fly if you have an outboard and the water is deep enough where you launch, guides or not.

It just takes a bit of practice to nail the KY windage every time when you have a cross wind or current. :lol:

Here's guide-ons that I made from my pile of scrap crap. The bunks are composite deck ballister from Home Cheepo and I used stove bolts sunk into them where the boats sides touch.

I can have the flat bunks on the trailor just near the water surface and simply drive on.

Copyofsidebunk.jpg

Latest posts