Ideas for transom replacement?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeA57

Reaction score
I've got an 81 Lowe 1448 Big Jon and after years of sitting outside the transom is starting to soften up at the outside edges. Not so much in the middle yet but I know it's coming so I'm trying to figure out how to go about it. I'll post some pix of it in a couple of days but what I'm really wondering about now is what to replace it with? I know I could do wood again but what type? It has plywood in it now but what are some other materials that could be used? It seems like everybody on this board that does this just says "I replaced the transom..." but I haven't seen too many threads that talk about the process involved. (Yes, I did a search.)

Thanks,

Mike

Marine grade or exterior grade plywood, sealed with spar urethane or other suitable weather sealant. Do not use pressure treated wood as apparently the chemicals react with the aluminum and lead to corrosion. You will likely need to remove rivets and then either replace with rivets or stainless steel nuts, bolts and washers, and add a little sealant like 3m5200 etc. to make sure the hardware doesn't leak.

I need to replace the transom in my 14' flat bottom again. I'm going with aluminum composite sheet this time. It may be high and I may have to do a laminate to get the proper thickness, but I'll never have to do it again. :wink:

If your transom has a "pocket" you could research using a pour in transom like Seacast or Fiberglass with chopped strands. There were a few threads here discussing epoxy/fiberglass transoms. One of them had a member build a mold, use PVC substance as a release agent on a concrete floor, poured in fiberglass and pressed it with some marble slabs.

I have an Alweld that had a rotten transom. I peeled off the top cap, sealed off the bottom and sides then poured in a mixture of fiberglass, chopped stranded fiberglass, and aerosil (culloidal silica sp?) to make my transom. Using 5 gallon buckets and a concrete drill with a mud bit helped to keep all the fiberglass the same for a uniform pour. It came out great!

Latest posts