Idle Adjustment?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
Is it really tricky to adjust the idle of an outboard? I'm pretty sure the idle on mine(90 yamaha 2-stroke) needs to be raised just a hair. When i'm idling in a wake zone, if I just push it just enough to get it to go into gear(idle), the motor kicks and kinda vibrates(not horrible, but it doesnt run smooth) like it almost wants to die...you can feel it shake the boat. Then I can push on it just to give it a tad more throttle and it'll smooth out. I've looked at the rpm's, but I swear I can't remember what they were. It runs fine when running anything other than just idle, so i'm pretty sure there isn't anything wrong, I just think the idle may need to be adjusted up a couple hundred rpm.

What speed(rpm) does your guys motors idle at? And is it hard to bump up the idle speed just a tad?

I'm know boat mechanic but if your outboard has a carb.There should be an idle adjustment screw and it is normally the easiest one to get at.

Zum said:
I'm know boat mechanic but if your outboard has a carb.There should be an idle adjustment screw and it is normally the easiest one to get at.

Yeah, It's a carbed motor i'm pretty positive, I just don't wanna risk turning the wrong screw. :?

Me neither.I know which one mine is,only from past experiences in the shop.

Latest posts