If I ever were to sink one... 10ft G3

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built a dry dock yesterday for the boat down by the water using scrap lumber. Not very pretty but sturdy enough to last as long as I own this setup. Took the boat to the Welder Mon night so when it comes home I'll post some pictures up of both the pods and the dock. It has been unusually hot this winter. As soon as the next warm day comes I'll take the boat out and pull the drain plug on it. Will have the cam rolling and will post it up. If these pods are truly water tight I think it won't sink, but I could be wrong. They are roughly 8"x8"x20". Hopefully they aren't too long...

sixgun86 said:
There were people skiing behind a boat last weekend here at the house. :shock:

This week low's of 50's, high's of 70's.

Our winter here in SC has been the same. But our water temp is a bit cold for skiing, it's about 55 right now. But, being that cold, it's crystal clear, like 6 feet of visibility. I wish it was like that in the summer.
Usually, in the summer, visibility here is about 6 inches, if you're lucky. :(

No way it will sink with all that foam under the benches plus the pods. Of course you need to pull the plug and then stand in the middle of the boat saluting the video camera. :lol:
Tim

With the pods on there I doubt the stern will go down very much, unless you stand in the back. It will be very interesting to see though.

In boy scouts we had to swamp a canoe and then get the water back out and paddle it back to shore. It's really not that hard to do at all...

Unfortunately I will only be able to do this with the pods. The boat is finished and am having a buddy pick it up while he is in town since I'm stuck working doubles all week/end. Pics of the weld work shorty. Won't get a chance to paint it over until Sat/Sun night.

Pics of my Ghetto dry dock for now. Firstly it was built with scrap wood, an old rusty winch, on a muggy knat (noseeum*) infested afternoon. I had two ladder sections from previous dock and built the top section with the winch this past weekend. Don't let this reflect upon the quality my workmanship, very little thought or effort (an hour) went into this but she is sturdy. If I do keep this boat for the summer which I doubt it will receive a proper parking. If she runs like a champ with these pods maybe even a trailer!

The ramp collapsed on me last summer so it's pretty much out of commission right now. You can see where the winter high tide is by the stains on the lower section. Winter low tide in pic. Summer high tide will almost completely submerge the first section. Hopefully it's long enough to keep it out of the water during the summer. The land lord wants to fill the ramp with sand instead of repair it... #-o

Attachments

• drydock.JPG
    drydock.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 523
  • drydock2.JPG
    drydock2.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 523
Well the boat is back.. Cost $90 for the pods installed. Would have preferred them run parallel to the boat but I didn't specify and it probably would have added to the price. Looks like there were some issues with blow through that had to be built up. Filled it with water, no leaks. If they function the way I hope then this mod will be worth every penny. If not then I just wasted my money and made a new boat ugly. If I get enough time tonite I'll run the boat. It sure would be nice if it will plane without additional weight up front and keep the stern from coming too close to the waterline now. Time will tell.

Paint soon! * G3 painted these boats Desert brown which matching it is an issue, closest dealer is hour and half away... Luckily I've got some family headed this way monday and there is a dealer on the way. Two can's of DB enroute! $9 a piece.

I should clean the bottom of the hull...

Attachments

• pod4.JPG
    pod4.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 517
  • pod3.JPG
    pod3.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 517
  • pod2.JPG
    pod2.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 517
  • pod1.JPG
    pod1.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 517
  • pod.JPG
    pod.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 517
does anyone know if a boat with foam under the mid and back bench plus the front will float even if it's filled with water? I've heard conflicting things, I bought a tracker 1542 (no motor currently, just a TM) one of the guys at the local lake said that if it were to flood or start to go under, the foam under the seats would keep the boat floating about an inch above the water, whereas I've heard from other people that it will sink to the bottom but the foam will help in bringing it up by giving it buoyancy is there any definite answer on this? that's why I'm curious to see what happens when you sink yours.

It's always been my understanding that mfg's installed enough foam to keep the boat afloat and then some. Doing the math on the cubic inches of foam in my boat and how many gallons of water that would displace tells me mine should easily keep my boat and motor afloat.

When I pull the plug on mine I'll add some weight to the boat to simulate a motor/tank/etc.. There is foam under each seat on this boat. Even the very front bench. Unfortunately I think the pods on the back are going to play a big role on keeping the boat, or at least the stern afloat. If the Middle bench seats sub merges then it would be safe to say most boats won't hold at the water line.

Latest posts