If I ever were to sink one... 10ft G3

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These "Noseeum's" are like miniature mosquito's. They are awful and bug repellent rarely works. If there is no breeze these things eat you alive and when they bite it will make you stop. The worst is the horse fly's in late fall. They are terrorists.

The pods are 8x8x20. Since I've had doubles the past four days and have 12days on I haven't had the opportunity to try them out yet. I was cruising C-List tonight and came across an extremely clean Yamaha 5hp Long shaft. Guy brought it by my work and paid $350. Thing looks new! Don't know what I'm going to do with it yet, might try it out on the boat before attempting to re sell. Thinking in it's condition it should fetch $500+ for someone with a sail boat looking for a kicker.

I could always run a jack plate... What a wild 10' this thing would be. Pods and a Jack plate. Whats next?

Attachments

• yamaha5hp.JPG
    yamaha5hp.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 492
sixgun86 said:
If the Middle bench seats sub merges then it would be safe to say most boats won't hold at the water line.
If my math is right, that's 11 gallons of water displaced by the pods, so it should take about 90 lbs just to sink the pods. Your foam is in the seats so the foam isn't going to provide any flotation until they start to go under. They won't reach their full potential until the seats are almost completely submerged. A lot of boats have the foam in the floors so they have the potential to ride higher in the water if they spring a leak than a boat that has it's foam in the bench seats.

I wish i had a little boat like that for the pond behind my house, all shore line where i could launch it is eroded so i cant launch my bigger boat and id much rather be in a little john than my kayak. Cant wait to see how this turns out.

So I popped off the yamaha last night. Hadn't been started in months and was drained of gas. Filled it on up, turned on the choke, turned the throttle to ignition, and two pulls later it fired right up. Held a perfect idle, good stream of water. So... I decided I'm going to put the fam motor (omc 6hp) back in the garage and run this instead. Since it's a long shaft I need to mount it 4" about the transom so I'll be using some angle aluminum 2x3x3/8, stainless hardware, and I'll use 2 or 3 layers of 1/2 for the mount. Pics of 2/3's of the required materials. $15 in hardware, $10 in aluminum. Wood = free, much left over from previous builds.

On a side note I haven't forgotten about sinking it.. Still waiting on some time off from work so I can get out there in the day light. I haven't even gotten a chance to test the pods in the water which I will be doing first before I go and install the jack plate. When I get off tonite I will be trying to do one or the other.

*Later in the night
The paint arrived tonight and the boat gunnels and pods were prepped. Tomorrow I'll prime and paint. Got the Aluminum angle on the boat. So far happy with the way it turned out. Seems to be solid and brings this long shaft 1/2 higher than where the short shaft sat which is a good thing since the water line is higher in this tin. Got a chance to take it out tonight and the pods did as intended. After paint the next step is to pull the drain plug.

Attachments

• jackplaty.JPG
    jackplaty.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 385
  • mounted.jpg
    mounted.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 373
  • transom2.jpg
    transom2.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 373
  • transom.jpg
    transom.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 373
  • paint.jpg
    paint.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 373
That looks ridiculous, it sure will be a conversation piece. In any case, that stern will never go underwater with those pods on there. Nice looking little yamaha you got there, been thinking about one like that as a kicker on my boat.
Maybe you should figure out a way to use both motors, one mounted on each pod. That would give you the added "safety and security" of alternate propulsion in case one breaks down.
Tim

I was hoping this thread would die off because I got a cash offer on the boat before I was able to sink it!! My intentions were good but if anyone here knows what happens to boats in my possession you'd understand. Sorry....... :cry:

Here are the last pictures I took the day it was sold. Still had fresh paint when it was being loaded.

Attachments

• foot5.jpg
    foot5.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 347
  • foot4.jpg
    foot4.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 347
  • foot3.jpg
    foot3.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 347
It sucks because now I don't have anything to sink.. Got an old town but it doesn't have any foam or a drain plug. I definitely won't be sinking the feathercraft.

Latest posts