If you've never seen a starter apart

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlimeTime

Reaction score
I took some pics, for those who haven't.

They took away my 1st option right off the bat :mrgreen:
housing.jpg

Bendix drive removed, as well as the 2 bolts which hold things together:
bolts.jpg

Everything just slips apart from there. Be careful as there may be a shim under the upper cap, inside, to shim end-play. If so, note where it goes.
apart.jpg

You have to hold all 4 brushes in their respective slots, so I cut an old license plate, cut a notch in it to clear the shaft, and held all the brushed down while I reinstalled the armature:
brushretain.jpg

armset.jpg

Prior to disassembly I scribed marks to realign everything (I'm sure you can't see them in the pics). Shell is slid back on. This is a strong magnetic pull, so don't let it pull the armature back out of the endcap & off the brushes.
shellinst.jpg

I didn't show lube on lower shaft/bearing, but here's the upper (keep in mind.....more isn't better when it comes to lube & electric motors!):
upbrg.jpg

The rest is reverse of reinstalling the bolts & bendix. This post is more to show what the guts of a starter look like, not to even hint I'm an expert (lol, at anything).....I know just enough to make me dangerous :twisted:

ST

I'm waiting for an answer on the other thread about the starter.....not sure if I have a bad bendix or not. I may just run up to the boat shop tomorrow after my back-cracker (Chiropractor) appointment.

I'm confident that the bearings are lubed, and the brushes are in good shape, so the bendix is the only questionable part before reinstalling the starter & getting the motor back together for a "smoke-test" :D

ST

Did you clean the brushes?I use very fine sand paper,1200 grit.Also you can use dielectric grease on the brushes and motor contact.As you stated before not to much.Just enough.

lol....1200 grit is notebook paper :p , nope, no grease on the brushes.

Bought a used bendix today ($15) because they didn't have a new one in stock (much like everything else in this town :roll: ), got the starter on & the motor all back together today, she spins over like a champ, I think it even sounds better. Replaced the fuel lines whil I had the motor apart.

ST