I'm finaly done!!(pics)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler_W

Reaction score
Well i'm finaly done with my boat. It took awhile because of school and my job but here it is.. Don't be too harsh i'm only 17
DSC00206-1.jpg

DSC00207.jpg

DSC00208.jpg

DSC00210.jpg

DSC00211.jpg

Oh and i'm not actually 100% done. I have to make the side panels for the space between the front deck and rear deck and then cut out the back hatch lid. I ran out of plywood!

that is definitely one heck of a job - nice work! let us know how you do when you get it out on the water!

Great job.Your next boat will come out 100 times bigger and better.I know you learned a lot and probably already know things you'd like to do to a bigger boat.Enjoy fishing until that next deal pops up.Then enjoy another build.

8)

Tyler_W said:
Don't be too harsh i'm only 17
I am exempt from that comment, as I am 15...... :lol: :lol:

Ah, just kidding.

How do you like the aluminum angle on the corners? My carpet is p***ing me off, so I have thought about doing something like that around all my hatch lids and corners, since I use aluminum and can't staple in to it (the glue, and corners/seams don't make good working combinations).

bassboy1 said:
How do you like the aluminum angle on the corners? My carpet is p***ing me off, so I have thought about doing something like that around all my hatch lids and corners, since I use aluminum and can't staple in to it (the glue, and corners/seams don't make good working combinations).

bb- next time you're carpeting a lid, try this. Just glue the carpet to the top of the lid, don't worry about the edges, or even apply any adhesive to them. Let it dry. Then apply adhesive to the edges & whatever width you want to wrap it onto the bottom, go ahead & staple, even if it's just until the adhesive dries. It's easier (at least for me) and seems to work better since you're not fighting everything at once, plus it'll reduce the odds that you'll get adhesive on the carpet.

ST

I like the angle it wasn't hard at all to put on either. I just cut it then put pilot holes in it and screwed it down. And to be honest it covered up the edges of the carpet because i couldn't get it to do right. But what i did before i put the piece thats on the livewell i didn't screw the lid on yet but i let the carpet hange off the edges and blow dry the corners till the carpet starts getting soft and workable then spry the 3m glue under the edge and put your hatch lid in it to push the carpet to the corners. It worked really good with me just let it sit awhile so you know the glu is dry

SlimeTime said:
bb- next time you're carpeting a lid, try this. Just glue the carpet to the top of the lid, don't worry about the edges, or even apply any adhesive to them. Let it dry. Then apply adhesive to the edges & whatever width you want to wrap it onto the bottom, go ahead & staple, even if it's just until the adhesive dries. It's easier (at least for me) and seems to work better since you're not fighting everything at once, plus it'll reduce the odds that you'll get adhesive on the carpet.

ST
That is what I did. Installing it wasn't as much of the problem as was the end result. Also, I can't staple into aluminum, and the spacing I left didn't allow a wrap onto the bottom. (On the next boat, the carpet will wrap all the way around, then the panel that goes on the bottom will be riveted on, on top of the carpet wrap)

My biggest thing is the seams at the corners of the deck. I just didn't have the number of hands needed to cut one piece that would cover the bow deck, and go down the back of the deck, so at the corner, the joint is a little rough. It doesn't look that bad, but I don't like it. Also, since I carpeted inside the hatch lids, where the carpet inside the hatch meets the deck, there is a joint, and it for the most part came out alright, I feel that the exposed edge will be my weak link, plus it looks bad. I am thinking that if I had aluminum around all my corners, to give it a completely uniform look it might not look so bad. The only thing is, would be the heat. Just putting a hand or foot on the barrel of the lid hinges is singing them, or melting a worm to them, and my wiring chase, which hasn't been carpeted yet, is like a daggum skillet.

Fellas, the carpet (depending on thickness) can be formed to fit bends, etc. When I did the carpet on the storage box in my rig, I precut everything, made sure it fit, then applied the glue. After that I cut some spare pieces of furring strips/scrap lumber to fit inside the application and held them in-place with some C-clamps, leaving it to set onernight. The carpet on the lid is folded under on both ends and the front lip. Haven't had any problems with it coming loose, and the carpet has been on there about a year now. :)

Here's a pic I took just a few minutes ago: (Lowe's Marine Grade Carpet, w/Henry 663 Glue)
normal_Carpet_on_storage_box1.JPG

Bump. For bassboy one i don't know if he ever saw the pic of that hatch

Tyler_W said:
Bump. For bassboy one i don't know if he ever saw the pic of that hatch
Wow. That certainly goes over the top as far as helpfullness goes.

The mistake I made when doing my carpet, was didn't design my hatches with the lip to wrap carpet around. My hatch was framed out of 1 x 1 square, then had a bottom panel. This panel required me to have to just end the carpet at the bottom edge, not allowing it to wrap. I actually had to go back and redo a lot of the edges, and they turned out alright the second time, but I still wish I went with the method that would allow me to wrap the carpet.

The other issue, and the reason I was asking about the aluminum trim, was the same issue that Slimetime had in the first picture of this thread.
https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4752
There had to be a carpet joint on an outside 90 degree angle in a few places, and it didn't turn out perfect where my joints were. Most of mine, though, are on the edge of hatches, where the deck carpet meets the carpet on the side of the hatch.

Latest posts