$1000 Question - Helix 9 vs Helix 7

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Still Afloat

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I’m curious if anyone has owned both the Helix 9 G4N and Helix 7 G3N and what‘s better about the Helix 9 aside from a larger screen, two SD ports and WiFi.

I inquired on another site and someone said the down imaging and side imaging was much better. I don’t get that much use out of SI/DI on the Helix 7. It‘s useful for determining structure on new water but, SI/DI doesn’t do a good job at seeing fish so just run 2D sonar once I know the area.

Even with the Black Friday pricing the Helix 9 is still $1000 and I’m having a hard time justifying the purchase. Is it that much better? The only reason that I’m looking is because I‘m rigging a new boat and I’m one unit short.

I have the 7 G3N, never had a 9 G4N.

I think you answered your own question with the SI/DI usage comment, particularly when you combine it with your other comment about having a hard time justifying the purchase.

If it was me, I'd save the pesos and get the 7 G3N. Might even look at buying the G3N with an extra display and network it on the new boat.

I’m curious if anyone has owned both the Helix 9 G4N and Helix 7 G3N and what‘s better about the Helix 9 aside from a larger screen, two SD ports and WiFi.

I inquired on another site and someone said the down imaging and side imaging was much better. I don’t get that much use out of SI/DI on the Helix 7. It‘s useful for determining structure on new water but, SI/DI doesn’t do a good job at seeing fish so just run 2D sonar once I know the area.

Even with the Black Friday pricing the Helix 9 is still $1000 and I’m having a hard time justifying the purchase. Is it that much better? The only reason that I’m looking is because I‘m rigging a new boat and I’m one unit short.

Don't know the answer, but will ask a side question. Which would you prefer having -- Side or Down imaging?

I'm still watching prices on Helix 7's. I note that SI is about $50 less than DI. Like you, I won't use imaging much if at all. If I had to pick one, I'm not sure which way to go.

If you get the SI head unit it will also do DI but, the DI unit won’t do SI.

Also on the Helix 7 G3N you can not remotely display SI on a Helix 7 DI head unit. So spend the extra coin on the SI and get the network option. It will give you more flexibility down the road.

As far as the preference, they both have advantages for imaging structure. I think the SI helps you interpret the DI images. I’ll run both in split screen with the two SI images on top and the DI in the lower 25 to 30% of the screen.

Last edited:
If you get the SI head unit it will also do DI but, the DI unit won’t do SI.

Also on the Helix 7 G3N you can not remotely display SI on a Helix 7 DI head unit. So spend the extra coin on the SI and get the network option. It will give you more flexibility down the road.

As far as the preference, they both have advantages for imaging structure. I think the SI helps you interpret the DI images. I’ll run both in split screen with the two SI images on top and the DI in the lower 25 to 30% of the screen.

Thanks. That is a lot of help and sorry about detouring your thread.

Good lookin' boat!

Hope you enjoy that Helix 9. Like you, I need bigger screens these days. Before I got the Helix 7 in February, I had a tiny Lowrance that was not at all bright in the sunlight. It was very limited and I primarily used it for water temp and depth readings.

Last edited:
Thanks. I was hoping to get a larger model but, this one is heavy enough. My gas mileage was down to 10mpg towing it home through the Columbia Gorge. The truck normally gets 15 or 16 mpg when towing the Crestliner 1750.

Unfortunately, it won’t be going out for awhile. Winter is here and the lakes will freeze soon. Not to mention the wet, salted roads.