Impeller replacement- Can an idiot like me handle it?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to compliment you on the motor, it is just so clean. Dont screw it up. :LOL2:

Got it done. 8) Contrary to what the service manual and every other video and piece of literature I've seen said, there is no shift shaft coupler on this motor. The shift rod is one piece, all the way to where it hooks into the stupid little plastic clip behind the carburetor. Getting a screwdriver into that little space to undo the clip was horrible. The actual water pump was a piece of cake once I got it all off. Then getting the clip hooked up again was a bear. There is a pin in the clip you have to line up and insert through the shift rod, then into the other side of the clip, all while using needle nose pliers and keeping the screw holes aligned.
Anyway, its done. It took awhile, but I started the motor for the first time in 20 years. Let it run for about 20 minutes on a strong mix of seafoam, and everything seemed to be in order. Thank you guys for all the tips.

WhiteMoose said:
Got it done. 8) Contrary to what the service manual and every other video and piece of literature I've seen said, there is no shift shaft coupler on this motor. The shift rod is one piece, all the way to where it hooks into the stupid little plastic clip behind the carburetor. Getting a screwdriver into that little space to undo the clip was horrible. The actual water pump was a piece of cake once I got it all off. Then getting the clip hooked up again was a bear. There is a pin in the clip you have to line up and insert through the shift rod, then into the other side of the clip, all while using needle nose pliers and keeping the screw holes aligned.
Anyway, its done. It took awhile, but I started the motor for the first time in 20 years. Let it run for about 20 minutes on a strong mix of seafoam, and everything seemed to be in order. Thank you guys for all the tips.
=D>

WhiteMoose said:

Congratulations WhiteMoose,

Welcome to the world of do it yourself motor maintenance and repair. The adventure you will never forget!!! =D>

Write in the your service manual some of the steps you used and tools that were necessary, so 2 to 3 yrs from now when you go to change impeller, it will not be readventure!! This was probably frustrating for you, but you have learned to change your own impeller. The more you learn about your motor the better off you will be and you will maintain her better!!!

Great job!!

cajuncook1