Inflatable PFD recommendations

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMichael

Reaction score
I've always been very comfortable in or around water. And I've never really worried about wearing my life jacket full time as long as I've had it with me while I'm in a boat. This year, besides being a year older (61), I'm dealing with a less than full use of one arm due to a torn rotator cuff. So I've decided it would be smart to wear some sort of flotation full time while I'm on the water. With this in mind, I've decided that if I have to wear it, I want it to be as comfortable as possible. That put me on the search for an inflatable model. After doing some searching, I see several different brands and features available. What I would like to know is if anyone has any recommendations of what to look for or what to avoid as far as features, brand, model, etc, and why.

I don't want to break the bank, but I also don't want to go too cheap on what could turn out to be an extremely important item. As it stands right now, I'm leaning toward a Mustang manual inflation model which runs a little over $100.

The only problem with the manual inflation model is if you get knocked out when you go overboard it will not inflate
the cheaper self inflating models have issue with rain some of them will inflate in the rain
Mustang make a nice jacket I will be getting a new one soon that has the trigger that needs to be submerged to inflate.
I am one of those guys that NEVER runs his big motor without the vest and kill switch on. I have read about too many people that didn't and died

No life vest is like driving with no seat belt. Not smart.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=345219#p345219 said:
redbug » Yesterday, 17:42[/url]"]The only problem with the manual inflation model is if you get knocked out when you go overboard it will not inflate
the cheaper self inflating models have issue with rain some of them will inflate in the rain
Mustang make a nice jacket I will be getting a new one soon that has the trigger that needs to be submerged to inflate.
I am one of those guys that NEVER runs his big motor without the vest and kill switch on. I have read about too many people that didn't and died

I figure the odds are higher that I'll end up in the water while the big motor is off than when it's running. When I'm running my big motor, I'm sitting down in one spot. Once the big motor is off, I'm standing, moving around, leaning out over the edge of the boat, etc. Bill Dance bloopers are a prime example of what I'm talking about. As for being knocked out, I can honestly say I've never seen a report of a tin boat fisherman being knocked unconscious and drowning because he was unconscious, so it's got to be a pretty rare occurrence. I see a lot of reports of drownings from not wearing a life jacket though. After all, you're head impacting the water isn't likely to knock you out.

I believe that more people die while fishing out of tin boats than fiberglass bass boats
Here in Pa and boat under 16' its the law that you must have your life vest one the entire time your in the boat in the spring and summer
in normal circumstances you would never need a life vest but you wear one because you never know what is going to happen
Hit s submerged stump or log and you COULD be tossed out of the boat you COULD hit the side of the boat and be knocked

Will it happen we all hope not but it COULD

I went over while fishing on the red river the boat owner was moving the battery to replace his trolling motor battery
I was lean when he moved it I went over hit my head my vest inflated he dragged me into the boat
wet and cold and we skunked
not my best day

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=345356#p345356 said:
redbug » Yesterday, 13:59[/url]"]I believe that more people die while fishing out of tin boats than fiberglass bass boats

I haven't seen any numbers on it but I suspect you are 100% correct on that. I think the biggest reason for this is the fact that tin boats being smaller means they are less stable and more people end up in the water as a result of that. That's part of my reasoning for being more concerned about wearing a vest while trolling around vs running the big motor. I also think that if you were to hit a stump/log while traveling fast enough to be dangerous, you will be thrown forward or parallel to the side of the boat making it very difficult to sustain a hard impact with the side of the boat. Of course on boats with windshields or consoles, you've got plenty to make contact with on that type of accident. Falling over the side of the boat from losing your balance while standing might be a whole other story on striking the side of the boat though.

Mustang Jackets are the best IMO, They have auto inflate which I would recommend. They are a bit more but they will always inflate when you hit the water or you can just pull the cord like a skydiver. The cheap ones are ok but most do not carry coast guard ratings.

I have hit the water 2 times in the past 3 years...

Thankfully we are carp fishing in shallow water and I literally did a front flip off the side of the boat...

My buddy was on the carp platform up front... reaching off the side for his arrow... I leaned the same side to grab my "beverage" and all that weight was just too much...

It was like slow motion... the boat started lifting on one end.. I could see the side coming up.. I knew we were going over... he went head over heels and I literally did a full flip... landed on my *** and feet... Still had my hat on, dry as a bone...

I remember leaning and knowing I was going over... I kept a hold of the boat until I looked up and knew that if I didn't let go, it was going to fully capsize... that's when I let go and tried to stick the landing...

The time before that was my buddy pulling the boat out of the water as I sat on the rear bench... the boat was not centered and as he pulled away, it tipped right there at the waterline, dumped me and about $2000 worth of gear into the water...I landed on rocks...

I am grateful that day the boat did not fully flip and land on top of me... I think it would have knocked me out and held me under the water...

Not that it is a point, but I wasn't wearing a vest neither time... nor do I wear one for that matter...
And I know shallow, nor deep, nor fast or slow water makes a difference... but I just don't wear one.

Now that I just wrote all of that down.. .I think i'll start wearing one.