Ingredients to the Roll and Tip..

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brtc

Reaction score
Hey, this is my first time posting on here, but i've been watching all of the builds on here for a while. I just inherited a 14 ft alumacraft jon boat with a little 9.5 johnson. I forgot to take pictures of it before i flipped it over, but it's not in that great of condition; however, it has sentimental value and i'd like to get it fixed up. First off, there were several different layers of a horrible paint job, so i decided to strip the whole boat down. I plan on just using rustoleum self etching primer on it, and using rustoleum oil based paint for the rest. I cant afford the good paint like interlux or awlgrip. I just have a few questions before i start.

1.) when i spray the self etching primer, does it have to be to bare aluminum, or is it ok to spray over old paint?

2.) it is almost completely stripped, but I dont know if i'll have time to prime it for about a week, will oxidation or rust be an issue in that small timeframe? i live on the coast in florida.

3.) the roll and tip method. I've looked everywhere on the forum, there's alot of good info, but confusing info too. What ingredients do i need to add to the 1 gallon can of rustoleum based paint? I know i need to find a hardener, and a thinner. Are there any suggested brands in the medium to low price range? How much of each do i need to add?

4.) What is the most preferred rollers and brushes to use when using the method?

5.) Any other tips would be great, thank you.

Pics are taken with a GoPro, so they aren't great.. Forgot to mention i plan on adding a good size deck to the the front and setting this boat up for flounder gigging. Thanks..

GOPR0306.JPG
GOPR0307.JPG
GOPR0309.JPG
GOPR0314.JPG
GOPR0321.JPG

:WELCOME:

I'll say you did one heck of a job stripping your boat, question #1 is no longer valid :LOL2: As far as the rool and tip, I can't offer any help. I also used regular oil based paint, no problems so far.

Thank you. It looks better in the pictures than it does in reality. I've been sanding the small bits of paint off for the past few days, but i don't have it all. I plan on building a big deck of front, and a small deck to cover the fuel tank at batteries in the back. I'll keep posting the progress and hopefully get some help as i go along. Thanks.

How long did it take to strip it down and is their a preferred stripper to use? I saw some youtube videos on the roll and tip but am not sure about it but using spraypaint on my entire boat seams a bit nuts.

I looked through about 20 pages of this forum before i decided to finally strip it all the way down but i went to autozone and got 2 cans of aircraft stripper.. it worked really well. It got most the paint, then i went to walmart and got one of those 3m scotch pad paint removal wheels for my drill. I've spent about 6 hours so far and i'll be done sanding the outside of the boat this weekend. I'll post pictures soon. For primer, i heard the regular spray cans of rustoleum self etching was pretty good, but right next to the cans there's a spray can handle that makes it alot easier to use. I'll let you know how it goes when i do mine next week.Thanks for the responses.

1- as far as your primer goes it is best to remove as much old debris as possible but not the end of the world either as long as you dont feel it will flake off. if your old paint is well bonded and sands out nicely then it is probably ok.
2-i would just wipe it down with some prep-sol before you prime it. it can and will oxidize but unless its getting a saltwater bath a little rainwater/dew should not cause that much issue.
3-everyone has there own way but what i have found works for us was a 6" foam roller from lowes and the best fine bristle brush your wallet can afford. i paid about 40 dollars for my brush but it is super fine and allows it to flow out perfectly. we used the benjamin moore on our boat but we used the rustoleum on another project and it is a little thinner than what we used on the boat so i would not thin it any more. everyone say do a thin coat first and maybe my idea of a thin coat and theres is different however i found a medium coating with the roller then tipping it worked best to get it to lay down super smooth. we also tackled about a quarter of the boat with the roller then tipped it. we found that get the paint as smooth as possible with the roller getting the paint as evenly distributed and choosing a place to paint up to on a corner or seam then tipping gave us the best results. i am a paint finatic and i can tell you i was shocked at the results. if you look at our build i have some close ups of our paint and the only way to improve it would be to spray it.

4- i know i said it already but we used the 6" foam rollers from lowes/home depot and i dont remember the brand of paint brush but it was some kind of animal hair and it is super super fine. i will also tell you some places you just cant roll and tip in those spots we used a foam brush to apply and a clean/dry one to tip.

5- best tip i can give you is to do a few test pieces and once you find a rythym that works best for you go with it. i dont suggest the start and stop method you see so many people use as you can see everywhere they start and stop. get yourself,paint,brushes,rollers ready to go and all laid out when you start. the other thing is dont get to hung up on making it look perfect with the brush and foam roller. the whole point to roll and tip is to make the paint flow out evenly so let the paint and technique do its thing.

1.) when i spray the self etching primer, does it have to be to bare aluminum, or is it ok to spray over old paint?

2.) it is almost completely stripped, but I dont know if i'll have time to prime it for about a week, will oxidation or rust be an issue in that small timeframe? i live on the coast in florida.

3.) the roll and tip method. I've looked everywhere on the forum, there's alot of good info, but confusing info too. What ingredients do i need to add to the 1 gallon can of rustoleum based paint? I know i need to find a hardener, and a thinner. Are there any suggested brands in the medium to low price range? How much of each do i need to add?

4.) What is the most preferred rollers and brushes to use when using the method?

5.) Any other tips would be great, thank you.

Pics are taken with a GoPro, so they aren't great.. Forgot to mention i plan on adding a good size deck to the the front and setting this boat up for flounder gigging. Thanks..

Thanks for the detailed response, here's an update on the boat. Will be painting this weekend. I still need to touch up some primer, but it's mostly ready. It's by no means perfect, but its the best i could do with what i have..
GOPR0330.JPG
GOPR0333.JPG
GOPR0334.JPG
GOPR0337.JPG
GOPR0338.JPG
GOPR0342.JPG
GOPR0345.JPG
GOPR0347.JPG
GOPR0350.JPG
GOPR0351.JPG

I think it's because they are moving to a new host. you should be able to see them again soon

Been a while since i've posted.. I got the outside painted and the motor running. Gonna go with light grey on the inside, and build the decks on the front and back next month. I'm actually in FL, not LA. I just haven't changed my registration yet.

GOPR0363.JPG
GOPR0364.JPG
GOPR0366.JPG
GOPR0381-001.JPG
GOPR0383-001.JPG
GOPR0384-001.JPG

Attachments

• GOPR0393.JPG
    GOPR0393.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 1,918
I'm pretty happy with the paint job. I'll post more pics of the deck and interior as soon as i get it done, probably 3 weeks. Thanks for the compliments.

Awesome job

Ever consider leaving the outside fully stripped down, you stripped it so well !

Latest posts