Input please...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caesar

Reaction score
I posted this a few weeks back in the boat talk forum, didn't get much response. I've got 1648 Rhyan Craft that I'm prepping to mod. Here's a general look at what I'm thinking (I changed a couple things already, mainly not mounting a seat in the middle, and forgetting to mark the cooler/livewell currently located in the middle bench). I'm simply looking to get some feedback before I tear into 'er. Thanks fella's.

-----------------

I've thought about ripping/cutting out the middle bench, but upon further thought, I've decided to keep there and instead build and elevated deck from the front all the way back, covering the middle bench.

My next thought is, If I bring the deck just below rail, I'll have about a 3 inch difference between the top of the bench and the bottom of the decking. I'd like to build a set of lockers running on either side, stretching from the front of the rear bench, up and over the middle bench, ultimately stretching 8 feet. I figure this will allow me to put my life jackets, throwables, etc in the rear half of the lockers, put the rods on top, close 'er up and be ready to roll. At 18'' wide, this would leave me a 3' wide floor in the rear half of the boat.

Then I'd like build a rear deck basically covering the rear bench. A couple of hatches (open on the inside for ventilation) would cover the gas tank, and make for much cleaner look.

Like I said this is what I'm thinking at the moment. It's all subject to change, and if you guys have anything thoughts or input I'd enjoy hearing them.

BoatRevisedAgain.jpg

Looks cool to me! Id love to have one like that to work with. How are you steering your outboard? Are you putting another seat in the rear? Just wondering about the third seat because you have a nice space there. I like your use of space. I am building lockers like that in mine for rod, light, and net storage. Good luck!

Forgot to mention I've got a sliding seat mount currently on the rear bench, that'll most likely get put back on once the rear deck is finished. Right now I've got batteries up front, I'll probably put one in either rod locker right behind the middle bench when it's all said and done. Thanks for the input, I think I've got pretty much everything planned out, (in my head if nothing else), but figure running it by you all will help make sure I've got all my bases covered.

I like the set-up. The only thing I can suggest is if you make a cooler/livewell just make sure you leave room for it. Im making mine portable so I can add it when I need it. Other than that looks good =D>

Assuming that the white boxes on you container areas are hinges, I would not make your rod/gun lockers and aft compartments open from the outside. You will have to reach over the open hatch to get what is inside.

Cheeseball said:
Assuming that the white boxes on you container areas are hinges, I would not make your rod/gun lockers and aft compartments open from the outside. You will have to reach over the open hatch to get what is inside.
I was thinking the same thing. looks like a good plan, i made about 10 different sets of plans before i started mine, and ended up being very different when all was done. I say you have a great start, just step back often and re-evaluate as you go, it's amazing how many things i changed as i went. I'm usually quite the planner on my projects, to the point of even making 'cut lists' before i go to the lumberyard, but seemed like my boat just kept presenting me with unusual obstacles. in the end i'm glad i spent alot of time with my arms crossed staring at the boat, trying to visualize all my different options. Good Luck!

I am planning mine opening from the outside edge also. Reasons?
1) The curve can be cut and utilized allowing a bigger opening.
2) the hinge will be on the corner allowing the door to rest flat on the deck, reducing pressure on the hinges.
3) It will be locking with the bar going under a piece of aluminum angle that is riveted to the boat.
4) Easier to load and unload the lockers for fishing trips.
5) Less risk of knocking things out of the boat.

There are pros and cons of both ways. I'm just doing what I find more pleasant for myself.

I'd thought about having the lockers open towards the inside, but the more I thought about it, the more I liked having them hinged on the inside and opening towards the outside - mostly for the reasons Stryker just mentioned. I'm also rolling around the idea of having one open outward, and the other inward, it's like you said Grizzy, think and re-think, plan and re-plan. Regardless I'm excited to get to work, started water sealing the 2x2's the other night, won't be long now...

Personally I would not bother with the rod lockers vs having the deck be a little lower. Nothing like having a wind get up and watching you stuff blow off the deck and into the water... Plus with a lower deck the CG is lower and the boat feels more stable. Batteries to the front and wide apart, gas tank up by the middle bunk to keep the tail from dragging? Rear fishing seat further back (keeps anglers from catching each other).

Maybe you should answer these questions before starting;

1. How long do you plan on owning the boat?

2. What do you plan on doing with it?

3. How many will be in it usually?

4. Where are you going to keep it?

5. How much do you plan to spend on it?

Jamie

Latest posts