Is this an INCREDIBLE DEAL???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HRalston

Reaction score
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa/3678095303.html

Just spoke with the owner who says he bought it in 1993 and repowered with the 225 johnnys up from 150s. Older guy who is sick now and has taking excellent care of the boat from what he says- new lower units in both motors, washed/waxed regularly. He says it runs 50 MPH with a full load. The trailer alone has to be worth close to $3k right?

That's what I thought too but after speaking with the guy for a while I feel like it's worth checking out. Obviously I wouldn't drop that kind of cash without having a mechanic check the motors and hull out. I really do believe that he has taken good care of the boat he seemed REALLY into the boat he would go on and on about it, just says he's battling a serious illness and is ready to finally let it go.

He moved up this way from the coast in 2007 and the boat has been run only in fresh water in the large lakes in this area since then. He lives near Lake Tillery said we could drop it in if we plan for a really nice day.

Yes the trailer is probably worth about $2500

The 18 year old Johnson two strokes are worth about a $ 1500 dollars a peace if they are in great condition. He said in the add that both lower units have been replaced but he doesn’t say they are new. Did he tell you they were new or rebuilds? Big deference. They most likely are rebuilds or used. You would have to take a good look at the hull. If the transom and floor are not rotted it’s worth the asking price but you would defiantly want to repower with newer four strokes or you’re going to have to mortgage the house for fuel and two stroke oil.

Country Dave said:
Yes the trailer is probably worth about $2500

The 18 year old Johnson two strokes are worth about a $ 1500 dollars a peace if they are in great condition. He said in the add that both lower units have been replaced but he doesn’t say they are new. Did he tell you they were new or rebuilds? Big deference. They most likely are rebuilds or used. You would have to take a good look at the hull. If the transom and floor are not rotted it’s worth the asking price but you would defiantly want to repower with newer four strokes or you’re going to have to mortgage the house for fuel and two stroke oil.

I hear you Dave. I am really in the market for a pontoon for Lake Norman but I figured I'd see what else is out there. I would LOVE to have a big boy center console like this, but I don't think I'm there yet. I don't even think I could afford to keep a boat this big anywhere near where it would get used properly...

Really funny how my opinion of pontoons has changed. Used to despise them, but now I think they are a ton of fun. Assuming you have a boat that can go fast as well :lol:

It would be a drag to tow it to/from the coast from Charlotte and better off storing it at the coast IMO. A professional inspection would be a good idea too.

Get a survey before you buy - well worth the money.

You should not need to repower that - those 225s are fine and WILL actually use less fuel then the same in a 4 stroke - yeah you will balance that out with the cost of oil

Plus, they are faster!

Having 2 engines is nice piece of mind when venturing to the gulfstream. I'm sure that boat has a nice ride too!!

Captain Ahab said:

You should not need to repower that - those 225s are fine and WILL actually use less fuel then the same in a 4 stroke - yeah you will balance that out with the cost of oil

Plus, they are faster!

With all due respect sir I just don’t see a 16 or 17 year old two stroke “regardless of how well it’s tuned” getting better fuel economy than a four stroke, especially a newer one. Never heard of such thing.

It seems like an ok deal......I have seen these boats before, they are real heavy.....gas hogs. I would look at the motors with a fine tooth comb......the boat has been setting and my guess is that the carbs will all have to be re-done due to ethanol. If the motors check out it might make a nice boat for some heavy water. Down here there are a ton of boats with newer power, better hulls, and good trailers for that price. IMO the above boat is a good deal if you dont have to mess with the motors. My 150 Johnson is a mile to the gallon period.......so I would guess that those 225's probably run the same.....I don't care what boat you buy, once you get into this size range you will spend lots of money for the fuel and oil no matter how new or what kind of engine you buy. My friend's run brand new 300's and they only get 1 maybe 1.3 to the gallon at wot.......if you buy this beast be prepared to spend several hundred dollars just to take it out, especially offshore.

Country Dave said:
Captain Ahab said:

Plus, they are faster!

With all due respect sir I just don’t see a 16 or 17 year old two stroke “regardless of how well it’s tuned” getting better fuel economy than a four stroke, especially a newer one. Never heard of such thing.

I have compared them side by side and the 2 strokes tend to get a little burn per hour in that class engine then a 4 stroke

Has to do with the power band for the hull style, how they are propped and the fact that a 225 merc weighs far less then a similar size 4 stroke

Again, there are variables but if the motors are set up right for the hull then you can get a little better fuel burn per hour

bigwave said:
It seems like an ok deal......I have seen these boats before, they are real heavy.....gas hogs. I would look at the motors with a fine tooth comb......the boat has been setting and my guess is that the carbs will all have to be re-done due to ethanol. If the motors check out it might make a nice boat for some heavy water. Down here there are a ton of boats with newer power, better hulls, and good trailers for that price. IMO the above boat is a good deal if you dont have to mess with the motors. My 150 Johnson is a mile to the gallon period.......so I would guess that those 225's probably run the same.....I don't care what boat you buy, once you get into this size range you will spend lots of money for the fuel and oil no matter how new or what kind of engine you buy. My friend's run brand new 300's and they only get 1 maybe 1.3 to the gallon at wot.......if you buy this beast be prepared to spend several hundred dollars just to take it out, especially offshore.

We spend about 600.00-800.00 each trip on the 30 foot Grady CC with twin yama 250s

a buddy of mine has a 33' grady marlin. he spends atleast $600 on a trip to go offshore. thats not including, bait, slip fee, fuel to get the boat down to hatteras or towing permits. that triler looks very similiar to his and to tow it he has to get permits and tow on weekedays as the trailer is i think 1" shy of being illegal.

Captain Ahab said:
Country Dave said:
Captain Ahab said:

Plus, they are faster!

I have compared them side by side and the 2 strokes tend to get a little burn per hour in that class engine then a 4 stroke

Has to do with the power band for the hull style, how they are propped and the fact that a 225 merc weighs far less then a similar size 4 stroke

Again, there are variables but if the motors are set up right for the hull then you can get a little better fuel burn per hour

I’m a little confused. The ad says it has twin 1999 225HP Johnsons. You made side by side comparisons on say a newer Yamaha 4 stroke and these motors or a Verado and these motors? I understand the whole prop and hull configuration thing but the 4 strokes are more fuel efficient than 2 strokes with the exception of the E-tech. The right prop and power band and motor set up with a 4 stroke is going to give you far better fuel economy than an old 2 stroke.
I respect you and your opinion but I just don’t see it.

Captain Ahab said:
bigwave said:

We spend about 600.00-800.00 each trip on the 30 foot Grady CC with twin yama 250s
yep that sounds about right, if we take the big boat out we burn 40 gallons an hour at 30kts.......for a 3 day trip it cost's everyone about a grand including tournament fee's and calcutta's, We also run a 30' dorado with 6 cylinder diesel, we can olny take 180 gallons of fuel.....25kts out and runs less than 800 bucks to do the same trip. We will only overnite on the dorado though. Sushi anyone......?

Wow great discussion we have going on here. Thanks everyone for your input!

HAHA I really need to get my tin done before I start shopping for offshore beasts :wink:

The reason for the low price is the Johnsons, they are gas hogs and with todays gas prices it is very expensive to run a rig like that, but still if hull is sound not a bad base price. Motors are throw aways.

Those carbed jonnys will easily suck twice what todays motors use.

Yeah I totally get that - but I'd never spend $50k on new motors for this boat...

If I wanted to spend $60-70K on a center console I wouldn't be looking at 20 year old boats.

Was really just trying to get an idea of how this price would compare to market value for this boat.

Latest posts