Is this easy to fix?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theyyounggun

Reaction score
Really good deal. A 9.5 Johnson that runs good. He said it runs but could use a new fuel pump. Come with a 6.5 gallon tank. $400

Are fuel pumps hard to replace? I have all the tools and everything but don't know anything about motors.
Fuel pump= $48.00

I don't see how it can "run good" and "needs a fuel pump", or do you mean it would run good if it had a new fuel pump? Pumps are pretty easy to rebuild as long as you pay attention to what goes where oriented in which direction. In other words, take lots of pics as you take it apart so you can ref them for reassembly. What year model is that motor, mid 60's or older?

He was saying that it runs good but that it may not be completly reliable or something like that. I'll have to check with him. And if I can't figure it out I have a mechanic next door to me that knows more about motors than anyone I've ever heard of :wink:

They go for that around here also when they are around 88 and newer I would say that is a little high IMO un less it runs running perfect.

Yea, there's a difference between the 9.9 and a 9.5. Mostly years of age but it's getting harder to find parts for the 9.5. I'd say it's a little on the high side for this time of year and the age of the motor. And if it's not running right now, it's definitely too high.

i would try and find a 80's or newer. optimum johnnyrude years are 83-89. try and find a 15 if you can. the latter years have tuned exhaust, better carb, and ignition. later years, after 90 have expensive ignitions.
around here a nice low hour motor will run around 6-700.
i just sold a 88, mint condition 15hp for 600.00. with the tank. i dont think the motor had more than 100 hours if even that much hours. motor started in one pull, i replaced: fuel pump, rebuilt carb, new plugs, impeller, power pack. all parts were omc parts.
dino

Those Johnson/Evinrudes 9.9 hp from 74 through the 90's were rock solid motors. Lots of parts are still available or can be found on Ebay. They are also at least 10 pounds lighter than today's 4-strokes. Finally from 74 through the mid-80's you can easily convert them to a 15 hp by putting in a 15 hp carb. Try and get one of these motors if you can. I would not get anything before this design which came out in 1974. The biggest issue today with these and all other outboards is the ethanol gas.

Latest posts