Issue with Minn Kota trolling motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VABassFisher

Reaction score
I have this three year old 36 lb Minn Kota trolling motor and speed 3 reverse is touchy to engage. In order for it to run on speed 3 reverse I need to twist it about halfway in between reverse speed 2 and 3 as indicated in the picture. It used to engage when it was twisted all the way to 3 on the line. All other speeds work fine. You can feel it click when you twist. Has any one else experienced a similar issue? Is it something that can be adjusted if I take the top cover off?

Attachments

• securedownload-5.jpeg
    securedownload-5.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 842
  • securedownload-6.jpeg
    securedownload-6.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 843
In my experience, this is an issue with corrosion building up on the switch contacts.

I bought an older Powerdrive off of Craigslist for $25. It worked, but only two of the 5 forward and one of the 3 reverse speeds worked. I took it home, disconnected the power and spun the handle back and forth about a hundred times. In the process, I managed to get back all of the forward speeds and two of the reverse speeds. The last reverse speed was doing exactly what you are describing. I kept on spinning the handle back and forth (with the power off), and while the last reverse speed got better, it never really came back.

I would try breaking off the corrosion by spinning the handle a number of times. It doesn't really hurt anything, but if it doesn't work, you haven't put any money into it.

Good luck!

If it is the switch (I agree that it sounds like the switch) take it out and soak it in alcohol overnight and blow it out with compressed air and dry thoroughly.

Alcohol is a decent cleaner but several companies produce an aerosol electric contact cleaner which is ideal for problems like this. You might also want to pull the top cover just to make sure nothing is lose (like switch mounting screws etc) inside.

Electrical contact cleaner as mentioned above, then clean the contacts with a brass brush. Get the copper to shine and you can bet it will conduct. Also make sure there is enough tension for a solid connection between the moving pieces as you twist through the speeds.

Anytime I've called MK with a problem, they've had the correct answer for me. I'd call them with the problem.

I had to replace a switch on an Endura 55 a few years ago. I think it cost me less than $20 including shipping.

Thanks for telling me things to try. I will give them a shot and let you know if I am able to get it working again. Sounds like it just needs to be cleaned.

A hundred years ago, when I was young, I repaired some radios and TVs ( black and white and small Ha Ha )..

Twisting the controls back and forth, as described above,l was the first and most successful solution. Second try was to use some "tuner cleaner".

Radio shack can help..... if twisting doesn't. Spray the stuff in and let it work.

You CAN fix it! Rich

I tried spinning the handle back and forth a bunch of times and it didn't seem to make any difference. If I hold the handle about halfway in between reverse speeds 2 and 3 it engages speed 3 or if I twist the handle hard on speed 3 counter clock wise and hold it there it engages speed 3. I removed the cover to see if there was anything that I could clean. The handle just attaches to the switch and the switch is in a sealed plastic case. It appears the switch has gone bad and I will need to get a new one from Minn Kota. I am going to call Minn Kota to find out how much a new switch would cost. Here are a couple of pictures of the inside of the top cover.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 694
  • photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 694
I experience similar touchy-feely settings in reverse. I disassembled and cleaned then replaced everything. I no longer have to hold between speeds two and three to find three. They now go 1-3-2. I'll take a #3 setting even if it is in the #2 spot.

Latest posts