jet boat carnage (whos got pics)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's something I saw on youtube.

[youtube]7bUP7dAsao0[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/7bUP7dAsao0
patrick lumba2 months ago

foot hit the end of a log and driver lost the tiller

Here is what I've managed to do to mine over the past year.

Completely destroyed my foot last spring. Was fishing the local river and it was up due to spring rains. Found a nice looking cove and proceeded to run back it. Thought it was free flowing river, but it was actually stagnant water that was accessible because the river was up, so no riffles to indicate rocks. Smacked a pretty big rock at full throttle (around 28mph) that was only about and inch or two below the water surface. Below are the results.
IMG_20140601_110918_zpsnyqtqgjj.jpg

IMG_20140601_110936_zpsih5zhgot.jpg

Later that summer hit and got beached on a few rocks. Wasn't even going fast enough to plane. But must have hit it just right in an already compromised spot on my hull bottom. It's amazing how fast a 1" x 1/4" size hole can fill a boat with water. Didn't even realize I had put a hole in the hull until I noticed my sandals floating in water on the boat floor. Was able to get off the rocks and to shore pretty quickly though. Got it welded back up that week and was back on the water by the following weekend.
IMG_20140726_092053_zpsvmihk7mk.jpg

IMG_20140727_103208_zpsn5es1ye5.jpg

IMG_20140727_112809_zpsdnkxjwnj.jpg

Busted up my drain hole on yet another rock on opening day of goose season this past fall. Wasn't as bad as my first two incidents above, but enough that it leaked pretty good. After welding it, poorly, it fixed the leak but the crappy weld caused me bad cavitation issues. Went back and cleaned up the welds and now all is good.
IMG_20140901_154016_zpsm4z6xrav.jpg

IMG_20140901_154126_zps171pb0lr.jpg

I have a nice dent in my center keel about 2 feet or so in front of the transom that was put there sometime during this past winter/duck season. Haven't had the chance to inspect it really well yet with all the snow and cold weather, but I'm sure that'll be the next spot to open up. If it survives this spring/summer I'll have to address it before hunting season. Definitely don't want to open up the hull with air temps in the teens and water temps near freezing!!

Had a little mishap coming home from a tournament one day. Pucker factor was pretty high for a few seconds, but fortunately nothing or no one was hurt. Welded trailer back together with bracing on inside and outside of break, re-wired trailer, had cover repaired, and was back on the river the following weekend. Boat was not harmed.

rsz_6-23-2007-24.jpg

rsz_6-23-2007-21.jpg

Riverdog said:
Here's something I saw on youtube.

[youtube]7bUP7dAsao0[/youtube]

patrick lumba2 months ago

foot hit the end of a log and driver lost the tiller

That is great!

Brian J said:
Had a little mishap coming home from a tournament one day. Pucker factor was pretty high for a few seconds, but fortunately nothing or no one was hurt. Welded trailer back together with bracing on inside and outside of break, re-wired trailer, had cover repaired, and was back on the river the following weekend. Boat was not harmed.

View attachment 1

Did that trailer have a made in china tag? LOL

BigTerp said:
Here is what I've managed to do to mine over the past year.

Completely destroyed my foot last spring. Was fishing the local river and it was up due to spring rains. Found a nice looking cove and proceeded to run back it. Thought it was free flowing river, but it was actually stagnant water that was accessible because the river was up, so no riffles to indicate rocks. Smacked a pretty big rock at full throttle (around 28mph) that was only about and inch or two below the water surface. Below are the results.
IMG_20140601_110918_zpsnyqtqgjj.jpg

IMG_20140601_110936_zpsih5zhgot.jpg

Later that summer hit and got beached on a few rocks. Wasn't even going fast enough to plane. But must have hit it just right in an already compromised spot on my hull bottom. It's amazing how fast a 1" x 1/4" size hole can fill a boat with water. Didn't even realize I had put a hole in the hull until I noticed my sandals floating in water on the boat floor. Was able to get off the rocks and to shore pretty quickly though. Got it welded back up that week and was back on the water by the following weekend.
IMG_20140726_092053_zpsvmihk7mk.jpg

IMG_20140727_103208_zpsn5es1ye5.jpg

IMG_20140727_112809_zpsdnkxjwnj.jpg

Busted up my drain hole on yet another rock on opening day of goose season this past fall. Wasn't as bad as my first two incidents above, but enough that it leaked pretty good. After welding it, poorly, it fixed the leak but the crappy weld caused me bad cavitation issues. Went back and cleaned up the welds and now all is good.
IMG_20140901_154016_zpsm4z6xrav.jpg

IMG_20140901_154126_zps171pb0lr.jpg

I have a nice dent in my center keel about 2 feet or so in front of the transom that was put there sometime during this past winter/duck season. Haven't had the chance to inspect it really well yet with all the snow and cold weather, but I'm sure that'll be the next spot to open up. If it survives this spring/summer I'll have to address it before hunting season. Definitely don't want to open up the hull with air temps in the teens and water temps near freezing!!

I hate those rocks just under the surface. Hit one at almost full throttle, thought I put a good dent in the bottom of the boat. Turns out, only the jet foot hit. Only had to replace the grates thankfully.

it sucks when you hit a rock and you and your gear pile on top of your buddie in the front of the boat

All these nasty pictures of rock strikes remind me of why I stay below the eastern seaboard fall line with my jet boat! :shock:

I've been tempted to cross lateral steps and rapids in the Santee and Great Pee Dee Rivers, but thought better about it. Think I'll just kayak and raft those sections that have rocks, and I'll keep the jet boat down here in the swamps and marshes of the coastal floodplain.

Even down here on the coast, there are hazards, like oyster beds, sandbars, and logs in freshwater rivers. But none of those tend to exact the level of damage caused by a rock strike. Only mishap I had with my jet was striking a submerged metal pipe just under the surface at mid-tide. Some knot-head used it to mark the edge of a channel (ever hear of PVC pipe?) Anyhow, I slid across it, and it made a slight crease, then when it got to the transom, it ripped the plug hole and the corner weld open, then as the boat slid off, it broke my steering bracket on my jet nozzle. So, not only was I taking on water, but also had no way to steer to make it back to the hill. Had to get towed in. Fortunately, I had a bilge pump, as well as a rag to jam in the hole. Welded it back together, and it was good to go. But I have no desire to repeat it, especially on an inland river 2 hours from home.

WOW! that video had me ducking sitting here in my office! thats the one thing that scares me about a jet boat. you have ro run it wide open to make it but the risk/reward, does the reward outweigh the reward?

Riverdog said:
I hate those rocks just under the surface. Hit one at almost full throttle, thought I put a good dent in the bottom of the boat. Turns out, only the jet foot hit. Only had to replace the grates thankfully.

I've done the same many times. Try to keep my tilt assist on the "open" position which allows the motor to kick up easier when it hits. Always nerve racking until I can get out and inspect the foot for damage. The bottom of my old foot was pretty beat up!!!

I have managed to not open my hull up yet but have damaged a few things along with myself. A few big dents, one shoe, one concussion, and one outboard hood. My back and pride might of been hurt once or twice while sitting high and dry.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
Brain....I don't know if that's bad luck or good luck! Holy crap...not even a scratch on the boat!

Actually, it was a blessing. The boat was running right beside us for roughly 500 feet before veering off the road and into the ditch. It was getting enough air underneath the front of the boat so it looked like it was getting pulled by an invisible truck. We were traveling south toward Vichy on US 63 (two lane highway) just outside of Vienna. All heck broke loose about a quarter mile north of the county road that goes to Moreland's and the trailer actually "auto-piloted" for about 1000 feet before coming to rest in the ditch.

Trailer was a solid trailer made by a reputable manufacturer here in Missouri and I would have no qualms at all about owning another one. The problem was that several years prior, I had kinked the tongue while tightening the u-bolts that held the winch stand in place. The trailer tongue always flexed a little there and eventually a little crack began to form at the kink. One thing lead to another and that day it finally broke. Upon inspecting the rust on the tongue where it broke, I am pretty confident that this was definitely something that happened over time and could have been prevented had I inspected the trailer periodically.

I was on the phone with a friend of mine when the trailer broke and to hear him tell what I was saying during all of this is quite comical. I apparently got pretty excited.........

There are hazards out there. One time I was in my canoe and was paddling at a pretty fast rate when I crossed a stump barely submerged under water. I saw the bottom of the canoe look like a wave coming at me. I stopped with the stump right in the middle of the canoe. I had a devil of a time trying to free myself from that predicament. The canoe was bowed up in the middle with me in the rear and all my gear in the front. I was surprised it didn't crack the fiberglass in half.

Latest posts