Jet drive ??"s

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im with lil blue rude on going with a riser instead of jack plate. I've heard about more pros then cons. I have two sets of holes in my motor mount one slotted and one not. I set my foot as to how obj recommends. Drilled and bolted the slotted holes ran it the tried higher and lower. I ended up putting the shoe where obj recommends and drilled and bolted. Once you find the correct spot you don't need to move it. With a jack plate most everyone I've seen post anything has had to extend the bottom of the boat to the intake to keep a smooth water flow. I personally don't see any positive in using a manual jack plate. Jack plates will cause your transom to fail faster then a riser because of the setback. I had to redo and reinforce my transom on my lowe after 10 years with a riser.

Thanks. IF I end up going with a jackplate I would try to keep the setback as small as possible. But I don't see it being any less than 4" or so. Which sounds like that can be enough to cause issues.

So how exactly do I go about making a 5-6" riser? I've seen a few aftermarket ones, but in the limited research I did, only found ones that go 2-4". Would prefer to make my own, if possible.

Thanks for the link. My buddy and I have been pondering ways to do this and have found several homemade ones that others have made. Since the motor itself will be bolted through my existing transom, a riser would only need to be sufficient enough to support the upper "lip" of the motor, correct? The mounting holes on the motor shouldn't have to go through the riser at all. My buddy is a mechanical engineer by trade, and doesn't think a riser is going to be supporting much of the motor at all. Just trying to get a better idea of if we need to over engineer this, or just make a simple riser that will allow the motor to rest on it.

Here's a link of a boat that has a woodens riser. But it gives you a better idea how it's gonna go together. https://semo.craigslist.org/boa/3584419926.html

HA, I like that wooden riser. Thanks, it does give me a better visual of how it needs to be done.

What kind of fuel economy can I expect with this motor? I currently have a 6 gallon tank that I planned on using. I will be running mostly short distances for fishing but will occasionally have a 10-15 or so mile run to get to some duck hunting spots. Should I consider a larger tank, or will 6 gallons be sufficient?

I would just bring another 6 gal tank with on your longer runs. I usually bring 14 gallons with for a weekend of camping.

Thanks for all the help!!! I finally got my ideas together to get finished with my boat work. And then this jet threw a wrench into it, in a good way though. I'm sure I'll have a bunch more questions once I really get into the rebuild and get everything tied together. Hopefully I'll have everything ready to go come mid/late spring!!!

Thanks. You had to raise yours to 27"? I'm thinking I only need to go to 20 or 21". Need to do some measurements to be sure. But after seeing yours having to go up that high, I'm a bit more confident in doing my own.

Yeah, 27", but my motor is a long shaft. Prop motors are 15" for "short shaft", 20" for long, but the rule of thumb is add 7" for the jet and fine tune from there. 21-22" should be a good starting point for you, but you'll most likely need to move it up or down to find what works best for your boat. Too high will cause cavitation, too low will create extra drag, splashback, and possibly increased chance of tagging one of them famous Potomac ledges haha

I thought the rule of thumb was to get the front of the jet foot even with the bottom of the hull? Based on my measurements (transom from top to bottom is 16.5", motor from front of jet foot to top mounting surface is about 21"? this is where I'm getting that I'll need ~4" of transom elevation. Am I missing something?

Yeah, those widow makers hiding under the Potomacs surface have me a bit nervous now that I'll be able to go faster than walking pace!!

You're on the right track, most boats I've seen have the leading edge of the foot level with or slightly higher than the bottom. Check out the "owner's manual" page on Outboard Jets' site if you haven't already, they show how to make an adjustable riser as well as good info on setup and maintenance.
https://www.outboardjets.com/index.php
All I can tell you is learn the stretch of river you run the best you can, know where the tricky spots are, and pay attention to where other guys with jets run. It's intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of it you'll be hooked, I know I'm never going back to a prop boat on the river again

Thanks. Yeah, I've checked out outborad jets. Thats were I'm getting my setup ideas from. Not sure if you've run the Potomac from Williamsport up to dam 5, but that's where I'll do most of my fishing. It gets pretty sketchy, especially during the summer time. But I've gotten a pretty good idea of where to and not to go.

BigTerp said:
Thanks. Yeah, I've checked out outborad jets. Thats were I'm getting my setup ideas from. Not sure if you've run the Potomac from Williamsport up to dam 5, but that's where I'll do most of my fishing. It gets pretty sketchy, especially during the summer time. But I've gotten a pretty good idea of where to and not to go.
If your like most of us you will still go where you know you shouldn't.

No doubt!!

I need to find a control box for this thing. I'm planning on stick steering, so I have that part figured out, but don't know what I need for a control box. I need one just with choke, no trim. I've searched and found several used ones, but not sure exactly what I need. The new BRP ones look to only work for '96 and newer. Anyone point me in the right direction?

Your looking for controls with the red plug connector. 96 up have a diffrent connector then the 95 and older here's a link to the controls you need. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnson-Evinrude-OMC-outboard-motor-control-red-plug-up-to-1995-WITH-CABLES-/111009199323?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item19d8a9f4db&vxp=mtr

Most of the time a short shaft jets transom will be 22".

heres the riser outboard jet makes or sells or recommends i dunno its on their website so its gotta be ok... https://www.outboardjets.com/catalog/2010/Transom%20Bracket/TRANSOM%20BRACKET.pdf

Is this what I'm looking for??

5f8786eb-b592-473e-bef0-44a5cb46df73_zps961c5782.jpg

photo2_zpsb86a5fc1.jpg

photo3_zps84e37366.jpg

photo4_zps100a76fb.jpg