Jet Motors Lowest H.P

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiverDog357

Reaction score
Anyone know whats the smallest h.p that they make in a Jet Motor. I just bought a new Jon and it's raiting is 10 h.p Now I'd love to have the advantage of running in the shallows being the river I fish goes from a couple inches to about 15 ft. I have a little 2.5 Merc now and a 30 lb. Minn Kota but would love something to push me up through the shallows and run through the rapids. There is a fellow that runs a go-devil and that thing is sweet but I like how the jet motors arent huge and awkward. If they don't make one that small do you think I could get away with just peeling the stickers and leaving it blank or putting new ones on it? Also, what make and model would be the most reasonable in dependability and price?

We have a 25hp jet on one of our rescue boats. The hood says 18hp, but it is a 25. The difference is because of the loss of power with a jet (approx 30%).
Jet drives do have some advantages, but before you go out and buy one you need to know the disadvantages.
*Power loss
*There is a shear pin on the impeller that has a tendency to break when you least need it to happen
*The impeller sucks up everything on the bottom, including small oyster shells, pebbles, wood debris, etc.
Sometimes these objects will pass thru the valoute w/out shearing the pin.
*Grass can choke up the foot's intake and cause loss of performance.
*Very "slidey" - you have to kick it around and then counter steer back. It looks and feels like driving on ice!
*Poor slow speed manuvering (leaf on a pond syndrome) which makes launching and recovering far more exciting than it should be.

I say all this because we have found something far superior. The Dura Jet https://www.premiermarine.us/refurbished_durajet.htm but the smallest it comes is a 35.

I have a friend that runs a 25 jet on a 12' Valco and does real well.
https://www.outboardjets.com is the maker of all outboard jets pumps and has a lot of info on there site.
WFFF

60/40 is about the smallest I've seen available in any boat store around here.

Personally I love jet motors. Like you Diverdog, I fish a really shallow river, you can get away with using a prop but a jet is sooo much nicer.

All the drawbacks fowlmood mentioned are true, but in my opinion the shallow water capability makes up for them. As far as steering goes, you get used to it... and eventually will probably prefer it to a prop. Once you learn how to handle them a jet makes a boat far more manuverable than a prop. I could make the jet that I just sold turn completely around within the length of the boat. You can also "walk' a jet boat sideways. Another advantage of a jet is you can go from full bore forward thrust to full reverse without batting an eye. Tremendous stopping power in an emergency. (be sure to warn your friends when showing off this ability or they will end up in the drink.)

Mud motors are cool, but man are they noisy. Some are down right deafening.

Latest posts