Jig question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
russ010 said:
I really only use 3 colors... green, green and green pumpkin :lol:

A lot of people use black and blue, but I have my best luck with a green pumpkin jig paired with a green pumpkin trailer with the tips dyed orange (if I'm mimicking crawfish). I pulled out a ton of fish this summer, and that's what all of the crawfish looked like here in Georgia... except for one lake where they are black and red.

Bubba made a good point about weight and depth... but even in 40' of water, I'm still using 1/4oz, no matter the wind or water conditions. I just let it do it's own thing. If the wind is up, 9 times out of 10 I'm going to throw into the wind and let the bait do what it wants to - I just keep in contact with it. When it's moving around and fluttering on it's own, I believe the bass thinks it's got caught up in the current and can't control it's movements.

If I do find fish on bottom in a channel that's 30-40' deep, I will tie on a 1/2oz jig and work it - but I work it slow. And in slow I mean I don't move it at all. I let the boat movement control the jig.

But - here are the best jigs (for me)... They are made locally here in GA, and I have yet to lose one. And I fish some HEAVY cover. https:www.gitbit.net -- my best colors are Fall Craw, Peanut Butter & Jelly, and Coffee if I'm mimicing Crawfish. If I'm going to mimic bluegill, I'll throw the Money color. I really only throw these baits when the water temps are < 55*

They sure make a nice bait. I favour the Green Pumpkin colors too myself. Most of the craws here are a similar color to that green pumpkin color with a slight bit of orange to it. Mostly like the Yum Chunk trailer that I have.

russ010 said:
BLK fisher said:
russ010 said:
those are good jigs you picked up.. when you really get into jig fishing, let me know and I'll put you onto some custom jigs (the one's I use anyways).

As for trailers, I LOVE netbait paca chunks, and paca chunk seniors. They are also deadly by themselves on a shakey head jig.
I also like using just a Yamamoto Twin Tailed Hula Grub on a stand up jig head... It gets expensive though, because those baits are usually only good for 2-3 fish... but sometimes the smallest branch on a tree can rip them up.
Hey Russ, Awhile back you mentioned a soft plastic that you use on a jig head, Do you mind telling me what that was again and if you had a picture that would be great also. Thanks

ahhh... i completely forgot.

Here it is though - and sorry it's not my picture.. camera is in the truck and it's pouring down rain.

Thanks Russ. I throw alot of jigs and I am looking for kind of a finesse set up. I throw the Stanley finesse jigs but these I think might be even smaller.

Yamamoto Twin Tail Hula Grub -
gyb-kreature-11.jpg

the 1st and 3rd pictured are the grubs I use... I use the 5" version on a Spot Stalker Jig made my Uncle Josh Bait Company

Something that hasn't been brought up yet: What kind of line are you guys using?

I've been a big fan of fireline for froggin, but I think I might go to a cheaper braid like the BPS brand for jig fishing..

What do you guys use? If you're using a braid, do you have a flouro leader?

dyeguy1212 said:
Something that hasn't been brought up yet: What kind of line are you guys using?

I've been a big fan of fireline for froggin, but I think I might go to a cheaper braid like the BPS brand for jig fishing..

What do you guys use? If you're using a braid, do you have a flouro leader?

:twisted: 50lb Berkley Big Game for my pitching rod with no leader.

Russ, thanks for the lead on these jigs. I had not heard of these guys. I ordered a bag of them the other day and they showed up in the mail yesterday... very nice looking. Can't wait to get out on the water and give um a try.

russ010 said:
But - here are the best jigs (for me)... They are made locally here in GA, and I have yet to lose one. And I fish some HEAVY cover. https:www.gitbit.net -- my best colors are Fall Craw, Peanut Butter & Jelly, and Coffee if I'm mimicing Crawfish. If I'm going to mimic bluegill, I'll throw the Money color. I really only throw these baits when the water temps are < 55*

Line?

Depends on situation for me. Pitching in brush or wood I generally use 20# fluoro. If I am in the thickets, or heavy matted vegetation in summer I might try braid.

We caught these yesterday on 3/8oz finesse jigs with large trailers. Weather was cloudy and calm air temp 38*, water temp 47*.
Sorry for the crappy quality, #1 camera phone is garbage, and #2 to get them off of phone, I took a pic of the pic with my webcam :lol: .

Jigs were made by all terrain tackle, and the trailers were hand pours (alot like the JD Baits big chunks). I was using a green pumkin jig and trailer, my bro was using black/blue jig with a black trailer. We lost a third one right at the boat. They were very light biters, near but not in wood cover.

Attachments

• dan1.jpg
    dan1.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 996
  • mike1.jpg
    mike1.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 996
With you being up in Canadia you must have a good smallmouth fishery nearby, so I will add this old school technique. Ball jig with a mr. twister tail. Dirt cheap, and effective. Just swim the jig. I love white w/white tail, and in upstate ny they seem to do well on an orange jig head with white tail. No skirt.

bAcKpAiN said:
We caught these yesterday on 3/8oz finesse jigs with large trailers. Weather was cloudy and calm air temp 38*, water temp 47*.
Sorry for the crappy quality, #1 camera phone is garbage, and #2 to get them off of phone, I took a pic of the pic with my webcam :lol: .

Jigs were made by all terrain tackle, and the trailers were hand pours (alot like the JD Baits big chunks). I was using a green pumkin jig and trailer, my bro was using black/blue jig with a black trailer. We lost a third one right at the boat. They were very light biters, near but not in wood cover.

I just saw this post again... next time you get a light bite like that, go to a lighter jig.. like 1/4 oz and if you think you are fishing it too slow, SLOW DOWN MORE... always puts bigger and more fish in the boat for me.

But then again, I use the lightest weights I can get by with - and I'll use a 1/8oz jig in 50+ foot of water... I do use 15# fluoro line and that helps it sink a little faster

Latest posts