Jim went Fishing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Finally had an opportunity to go fishing for more than an hour. First and foremost I want to thank member XMYTRUCK for taking me out on his boat for a day of Pike Hunting. :beer:

I caught Pickerel, bass, and a small Pike!

Pickerel caught on a creek chub Pikie!
IMG_7089.JPG

X with a pig bass! (forgot what lure he was using)
IMG_7091.JPG

Small Pike caught on the Pikie! Pike was 33 inches long.
IMG_7092.JPG

Another shot of same Pike!

IMG_7094.JPG

Bass on Jig & Pig! (Finally felt the "Tick" everyone talks about :beer: This capped my day)
IMG_7095.JPG

Bass on a Pikie!
IMG_7099.JPG

Sudbury River Fall shot! This place is beautiful.

IMG_7101.JPG

The Pikie lure was on a 7'6 Heavy Shimano Crucial with an 8 year old Quantum 600 Baitcaster. I took this reel apart a couple of years ago, cleaned it thoroughly and then put it up on the wall. I decided this was going to be my small swimbait combo. Spooled it up with 14lb Excel mono and X let me borrow a fluorocarbon leader. Combo was flawless.

The jig and pig rod was a 6 foot Heavy BPS Extreme spinning rod with 50lb powerpro and a Shimano Stradic 4000 reel.

What a day! It was close to 70 degrees, Awesome for October 11 in New England.

New PB best PIKE to boot! :beer:

Thanks Xmytruck!

Ok who are you and where is Jim - we all know that although Jim might fish, he barely catches :lol: :lol:

That Pike is awesome - one species that I have never caught but really want to

Captain Ahab might have to head north soon :)

SWEEEEET!!! Nice fish guys. I would love to hook into one of those pikes that must have been a blast. Also a nice hook-up on the jig & pig, thats my favorite way to go at them.

Nice trip!

That was a small pike?

I went fishing for pike once when I was a kid with some family members from Indiana. We used live bait and I hooked the first one. When the fish came up next to the boat it looked like the most evil snake creature that I had ever seen and I refused to land it. :lol:

Congrats on the pb pike, I got a few questions, what type of baitcaster is this quantum 600. Also do you always fish a jig on spinning tackle, Ive heard people say you get better feel but have yet to get a spinning flippin stick.

slim357 said:
Congrats on the pb pike, I got a few questions, what type of baitcaster is this quantum 600. Also do you always fish a jig on spinning tackle, Ive heard people say you get better feel but have yet to get a spinning flippin stick.

The Quantum is a PR600CX. (1999)

https://www.waltreynolds.com/pr6oo.html

The spinning rod setup is to skip the jig and pig way underneath docks brush and overhangs. This is taking allot of practice. I figured out that you need to leave like 15 inches of line out (roughly) for a nice skip on top of the water.

I would prefer to flip....but sometimes you need to get way in there and there is no way I can skip like that with a baitcaster.

Attachments

• QUpr600cx.JPG
    QUpr600cx.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 283
AWESOME job guys!

I have no idea what I would do if I caught a Pike... I'm so used to sticking my fingers in everything I catch...

I think the oddest fish I have ever caught was when I was about 8 years old in Florida... Caught it off a dock in Sarasota. This is not the actual picture, I just remember it was called a short nosed bat fish.

batfish.jpg

needless to say... i didn't stick my finger in his mouth either

Looks like a great day of fishing.
Nice pike...looks big to me.

Looks like you had a pretty rewarding trip Jim. Thats an especially nice pike to. How did that guy fight?

mr.fish said:
Looks like you had a pretty rewarding trip Jim. Thats an especially nice pike to. How did that guy fight?

The fight was weird. At first I could not tell if it was big or not, but then once our eyes met...he wanted no part of this. It took a solid 5 minutes to get him to the point where we could get the lip gripper in his mouth. The Quantum Drag in that old baitcaster worked awesome.

Latest posts