jobs how do you look now??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seniors getting ready to graduate high school in a couple of months, and I ask them what their plans are. A majority of them tell me "Haven't thought about it yet", or, "Live at home with my parents". :roll:

Waterwings said:
I have seniors getting ready to graduate high school in a couple of months, and I ask them what their plans are. A majority of them tell me "Haven't thought about it yet", or, "Live at home with my parents". :roll:

Now for the rest of the story:

AGE 26 #-o

The personal touch sets you off a bit from the number of online apps. I will send an online app/resume if necessary, but will try to mail it if at all possible. I want my resume to stand out from the rest of the printed emails. I like the way it is formatted. I like how it presents me. The online resume uploaders are crap. I can't say that I've ever gotten an call from an online application. But for all the jobs I have interviewed for and thought I might like, I have been offered them (except one).

If nothing else, he can work for a temp agency till he finds something. I did that, and showing ambition to work is better than no job at all - plus you make contacts with different companies the longer you stay. I had an offer on my first job with a big 6 (at the time) accounting firm - I met an auditor at the job and ended up working more for him.

Also he should be willing to start at a lower wage to prove yourself - especially just out of college. Years ago I started at 25k and was given a 20% raise in 6 months and another 15% in another 6 months. So took me a year, I got experience in the field, and the pay I wanted. If there are no bills now, lower wage isn't an issue.

Just one man's opinion,

Will

I work for a Fortune 50 company, and the ONLY way they accept resumes is through the web....And you actually fill out THEIR resume form on the website. That way, they can run it through their computer program and determine the best people to call back. No paper resumes or phone calls, and no walk-ins either. I'm sure they are not the only ones using that type of system.

I was one of the lucky ones, in more ways than one. They hired me one month before my son was born, with day one health insurance. I was able to hang on to my job after only working there one year when they laid off 20% of their workforce. (Which was a really good thing, as there are thousands of degree-toting 20-somethings like me looking for work in this area...)

I wouldn't totally count out the web-based method... It just means you have to communicate like a professional, be sure to accentuate every characteristic they are looking for, and describe why you're the one they should hire. Cover letters are a must!

Matt
B.S. Integrated Manufacturing/Product Design
Illinois State University

I'm gonna say 1/2 and 1/2. You can get your name out there via the net. Research a company, find out some info. Then beat the pavement. I guess it really depends on how thorough you are at either. JMO.

Thanks guys
For the in put and i am just trying to understand this new way .as how things work .like i said i am old school and that is hard to get use to new school.I need to go back to school,it looks like.

I applied for my current job on Craigslist. It was the only way they take applications these days. They are located on airport property which is in a secure area. You can't just walk up and give them an application. I did know the station manager whom i had known from working at another job at the airport.
Some advice to the younger generation. If you are in a field that you like and want to stay in, work hard and show that you care for what you are doing. Your contacts on the outside, suppliers, vendors and other companies may be your next employer. Show them your best side.