Johnson JBF4Y trolling motor opinions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autinboat

Reaction score
Had an old jon "given back" to me but the original trolling motor had been stolen, so the guy gave me a Johnson JBF4Y 12/24 foot control trolling motor to replace it. Tried googling, etc... but theres not alot of info out there...except I did found quite a few very positive comments in general about them. Looks like its about a 1990 model. I don't really want to carry the 2 batteries required to run it in 24v mode, and have heard/read that when running in 12v they are really underpowered. Hoping some of you might know something and/or can give advice on direction here. Thanks...

I don't know anything about that particular motor, but I find that it's hard to be underpowered in a jon boat unless your trying to use it as primary propulsion. I'd go take it for a test ride (staying close to the ramp, if you don't have another motor) and see how she does.

That said, I really like the idea of having a backup battery regardless. Just me.

That said, I really like the idea of having a backup battery regardless. Just me.
Absolutely agree...I just have to determine where the line between common sense and my laziness intersect. BTW, that line seems to adjust with age. Really with me it depends on where I'm fishing...<25 acre pond I'll risk paddlin'...on Lake Martin or Jordan and I want backup (being towed really embarrasses me :oops: ). I really don't know about the 12/24 differential, I'm just referencing some "opinions" I have read...who knows. Some of these "opinions" seem to be saying that a 12/24 run on 12 is REALLY slow...more so than a comparable 12v only motor with comparable rated thrust. Kinda hard to explain...hope it makes sense. I guess the only way to know is to go ahead and mount it all up and run it.

Latest posts