Jon Boat Seats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Vercueil

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been given a 12ft Aluminum boat that’s been standing for a while. Some parts were stolen off the boat and id like to restore it to a useable condition.The original bench seats were taken out which has caused it to loose some of its structural integrity. It’s very flimsy as is which I’m hoping will be fixed once I put some seats in?

What do you think would be the best way to make new seats. I’m thinking of just using sealed wood? I see the boat doesn’t have any ribs either but it doesn’t look like it came with them in the first place. Do you think it will be stable enough without them?

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• 98CD1F42-233A-48DA-80FE-656C219192CD.jpeg
    98CD1F42-233A-48DA-80FE-656C219192CD.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 33C777DD-95C1-4D7D-BB89-9570916609CA.jpeg
    33C777DD-95C1-4D7D-BB89-9570916609CA.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 0
Oh yes, that boat is dangerous as is! Wood seats would be fine. I'd get some heavy duty aluminum 2"x2" angle stock, cut 4 pieces the length of your seat width. Fasten the angles to the sides and span across with the wood. Someone probably planned on decking the whole thing when they removed the seats

I wouldn't worry about the lack of ribs, you just need some support for the gunwales so the boat doesn't fold up like a clam..

Oh yes, that boat is dangerous as is! Wood seats would be fine. I'd get some heavy duty aluminum 2"x2" angle stock, cut 4 pieces the length of your seat width. Fasten the angles to the sides and span across with the wood. Someone probably planned on decking the whole thing when they removed the seats

I wouldn't worry about the lack of ribs, you just need some support for the gunwales so the boat doesn't fold up like a clam..
Thank you sir! Going to give it a go in the morning 🙏🏻

Maybe not the answer you want to hear, but where I live a boat like that is worth a couple hundred bucks. Might be cheaper to buy a better boat and get scrap value for the one you got. About $30 last time I checked.