Jon Boat Tracker 1542 - Bow Trolling Motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkolBandit

Reaction score
Hello. I'm looking to add a bow trolling motor to my Jon Boat Tracker 1542, but wanted to see if anyone has recommendations on the best way to mount it. I don't want it to be permanently attached, have the ability to remove and put on when I take the boat out. If you have done this or can share your ideas, that would be great! Thx

They make quick release brackets for trolling motors. They make it easy to mount or remove the trolling motor. Google trolling motor quick release bracket to see what is out there. Of course, the down side is that will add to the overall cost.

Here's how I mounted mine. It may not be exactly as you would do it on your Jon Boat, but it might give you an idea for adaptation.

Trolling Motor Mount.jpg

I was aware of the quick mount that is available, but since I was already replacing the ply that spans the forward portion of the bow, I went ahead and made my own mounting platform for the TM. The TM is mounted to the long ply platform which is then mounted to the plywood that spans between the gunwales of the boat. It is bolted with four 1/2" bolts that screw into t-nuts that are mounted on the bottom side of larger plywood platform. It would take me less than ten minutes to disconnect and remove the TM.

It may not be as convenient the Minn Kota Quick Release bracket, but it also didn't cost $70. The ply was excess ply hanging around the shop, the paint was left over in the paint cabinet. I spent $2 on the t-nuts.

I don't know how much faster that quick release bracket would be, but I'd still have to go through disconnecting the power, foot pedal controls, and ProNav controller regardless.

Sorry for the crappy picture, but the deck with bow trolling motor is removable...

Attachments

• 20230528_153722ef.jpg
    20230528_153722ef.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 0
Quick release bow mount
I had this installed on my past two boats. works great. I take my TM off during duck season so my blind fits.

I use that one as well. Kinda hard to see it but it's there.

20200409_153948-M.jpg