Just my thinking

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice floor, but......
How will you drain it? Lets say you start to take on some water (for whatever reason.)
Will you have access to manually drain or is there a bilge pump option?
Or will it not really matter?

Hello ,
I wasn't able to work on boat this weekend becase of well lets just say no work.Ihave been looking at it and need a little help.Was wanting
to make dry storge for batteys,switches,pfd,ect. What do you think is best way to go pic 1 or pic 2.Give me your thoughts on this.
Thanks mike

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 4,206
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 4,208
Looking good. Can;t wait to see the final product. I really think when you do something yourself and put your hard earned money and time into something, you appreciate more. Good luck with it.

I guess depending on how much open deck you want to cover up with the storage box, either it goes fore and aft, or port to stbd. I have a 1652VT Lowe Roughneck and had the dealer install the optional accesssory lockable 60" box on the port side. It has come in handy while fishing where I can lay rods, worm binders, etc that aren't being used. In it I have an extra pfd, rain gear, first aid box, worm binders, two paddles, etc. Not sure if a battery would fit in mine width-wise, but since you have the capability to mfr your own you're good-to-go. I know it's easy to get to the box when the boat is trailered because I don't have to stretch to get to things if it were mounted port to stbd. Just my thoughts. Your rig is coming along great! 8)

here's a pic with the box installed in mine: (before I carpeted it)
Boat1.JPG

carpet installed:
front_deck_view.JPG

waterwings
Thanks for posting pics. of your boat i had seen them before but forgot about your port side storage.I really want to put my storage/batt. forward/aft as that would put switches at aft,. But just not fig out how to do it.As rear and middle sets are differed heights and then there is aways the angle up top.I am going to re look at and do so thinking an see if i can do some thing like what you have as that is what i want .You have a great looking boat.What size motor? This boat is a 1648m with a 25 hp 4 stroke .
Thanks for looking Mike

Cap'n Caveman nice boat dude! I'm a few steps behind you, but all in all having just as much fun doing it. Where did you get that blue foam? Local marine store? Once again great job on the build so far.

The blue board you will not find at home depot or Lowe's,as they don't carry 1 1/2" as that is what i needed so i went to a building supply co..Where i am at it was 25.00 for 4'x8'. Just went today and got 2 25' pieces of 1 1/2"x1 1/2" L alum. 27.00 each and 2 21' 1" x 1" tube alum. for 27.00 each all is 1/8 .125 so i hope to get back to work on this weekend. w p lets see pics of your build

caveman said:
waterwings
Thanks for posting pics. of your boat i had seen them before but forgot about your port side storage.I really want to put my storage/batt. forward/aft as that would put switches at aft,. But just not fig out how to do it.As rear and middle sets are differed heights and then there is aways the angle up top.I am going to re look at and do so thinking an see if i can do some thing like what you have as that is what i want .You have a great looking boat.What size motor? This boat is a 1648m with a 25 hp 4 stroke . Thanks for looking Mike

Thanks for the compliment. My front and rear decks are different heights, with the front deck sitting lower. No motor on my rig, as I fish electric-only waters around here. I have a MG 54# foot control tm on the bow, and a MK Endura 40# on the stern. Now, if I only had the time and some decent weather, I'd get to take the boat out for awhile.

OK i said i would try and post pic. once a week. well we all know that things don't work as we want them to....
I have worked on my boat all day and most would say that is all you gout done. I am working on my battery /switches box /dry storage.
I have the side ready and just need to start the top will post pic tomorrow
THANKS FOR LOOKING CAVEMAN

OK after work on the boat all weekend.My other side was not happy so now i can't find camera now. so when she goes to work i will find and post.God love her.As well as i do.

OK well i found camera then batt. dead well,well Here are pics. Batt will be just aft of middle set and switch bank just forward of aft set.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 2,386
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 2,381
Rawdawg
I don't know how it will hold up over time.I did do test on this foam put in bucket of water for 24 hours and it was same weigh and floated after a rock holding it down.I have seen others use on this site but never seen any results.I do know this i see it used underground on slabs in my line of work and after years it is in good shape.
Thanks for looking caveman

hello
well to day it is raining so i can't work on boat.Yesterday i went and got my alum. for front deck wasn't sure what would be best as i am doing this for the first time .125 (1/8") or .25 (1/4") so i went in the middle .1875 (3/16") . I hope that this will work what do you all think?As i was about to leave the man that waited on me walked outside to smoke and we got to talking.I told him what i was doing and he said he had some .125 that was water spots and would make me a deal on it for a 4'x8' for $58.00 a sheet.Well i felt as if a idiot as i had just paid $96.00 for a 2'x5' of .1875 (3/16).Well that is life i think in the long run the 3/16 well be best. But may go back and get the 1/8 just in case i need.What is your in put on this.

I think it depends on your bracing.
That .125 would be plenty heavy enough.The hulls of boats aren't(normally) that heavy.
I'm pretty sure you can go lighter,I don't know what my factory deck is but I bet it's under .100 gauge.
O ya ...I'd go get that sheet.

Zum
what i am planing on using for bracing is .125 1 1/2" l and .125 1" sq. tube with the .1875 for my deck.

I'd say the deck framing will depend on the skin thickness. I'm going .063" deck skin which is $108 a 4x8 sheet here so I did 1x1x.125 angle with a 12 max space between frame structures. Another thing I did is put three uprights per bulkhead to tei the deck into the hull ribs so it will be less prone to flex.

Your project looks good, only suggestion would be to avoid the rivets and drill / tap for stainless hardware so you can take it back apart to get at leaks, wiring, rattling lures etc.

Jamie

Well it stopped raining for a few hours and was able to get the side sheet done on box and switches cut in used marine caulk on back side. Will post pic. tomorrow as flash will not allow me to take tonight.This part is now setting in living room.And this is a funny reminder of the time that i was working on my old boat. A 13' ALUM. craft with a 1965 5 hp gale.I had spent a lot of cash for galt,and a lot of time to put it on about the time i finished it started to rain with no place to keep it dry.WHAT is one to do but open up the front door and yes the living room.Was good for me but the wife well let me just say i here to this day.
CAVEMAN