Ka-Boom Jet Foot Repair

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranchero50

Reaction score
Got the call, jet foot cracked, found a tall rock in deep water at idle on the Susky. Didn't look bad until I took the mangled grill bars out and tapped the cracked edge with a hammer. Instant two peice foot. Used the die grinder with an aluminum burr and bevelled the cracked edge, welded the cast aluminum back together with the Mig...

DSC00932.jpg

DSC00933.jpg

DSC00934.jpg

Then I took some scrap aluminum and made some intake fins to help reinforce the cast and if they get buggered I can fix them easier than the foot.
DSC00935.jpg

DSC00936.jpg

DSC00937.jpg

Now once the new wear ring, key and sleeve get here I'll get this thing back together. Something sheared the key and the sleeve was washed out pretty good too. The wear ring was junk the other year when we filled it with epoxy and most of that was eaten away this time.

The boat is a '01 Ranger 116 Cherokee, aluminum hull with a 90-65 Merc, an ungawdly heavy beast for shallow running.
Jamie

red450r said:
looks good man, how thick are the fins?

Just 1/4" diamond plate 6061. I want them to bend vs. break.

Dog, I just need to get the parts and it'll be back on the water next week. The guys at outboard jets asked if we could just flip the washer stack to close up the wear ring clearances. Pretty cool that they would rather fix what we had vs. make a sale on the new parts.

Jamie

Latest posts