karma has been good to me

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggerhead Mike

Reaction score
well my elderly neighbor came into the shop today and told me he had an old motor sitting in his garage i could have since he saw me taking me boat out all the time. i go on my lunchbreak to pick it up and it turns out to be a 3hp 69 johnson. man what a cool motor, and hardly a scratch on the paint. it had been sitting for 10 + years. the only thing is the front handle is broken. wipity do.

i tore the carb apart and made all new gaskets. the float may need to be replaced, but i put a layer of paint on it and when that dry's ill see it if will float. trying to keep a free motor free

i cant beleave this little guy is a 2cylinder. has anybody been around one before? if the float is ok by the end of the day im going to try and have it purr'n

That same motor has been around since '55, and nothing was changed until '70, aside from cosmetics, for the most part. That was one of the best motors ever made. No, it is pretty much unanimously agreed among motor gurus that the 3 from that time IS the best motor ever made.

Those are one of the exceptions for old motors not being a reliable, or economical motor to rely on. Those are actually sought after enough that in running condition, they are selling for 125 - 150 regularly, and 75 or so in nonrunning condition. And we aren't talking just collectors like me buying them, but fishermen needing a reliable motor. If I were you, I would go ahead and put a few bucks into it, just to make it nicer (think water pump impeller - nuff said), unless you plan on just displaying it.

well all it needs is gas now and im hoping it will run, but we'll see later today. I'd like to trade it for a boat trailer, or sell it for money twards a trailer, but if i keep it i will striper down like a woman and replace all the gaskets, impeller, ect ect with a fresh paint job and honestly probably just hang it on the garage wall or use it when i go to the local lake (glorified pond) since its alot lighter than my 7.5

id love to make a full project outta it and keep it, but man am i getting tired of loading and unloading the boat out of the pickup. well actually the boats the easyest part, its the motor battery and beer cooler that get heavy!

thanks for the info!

i know its a long shot but would you happen to know the point gap specs on this rig?

#1 cyl is dead and 2 has a very week spark. i took the flywheel off and made sure the magnets didnt go dead. points open and close properly but it seems like it has a bigger gap than i'd think it should.

Try .016 to .018.That's what most small engines are set at.If you have weak spark try replacing the condenser and check the the kill switch.On the carb float,is it wood or cork?Those are usually dipped in varnish and hung upside down to dry.Some restores used fuel resistant epoxy to seal them.

awsome thanks. after i posted this yesterday i went back and cleaned all the points up, and set them to .014 and it has a nice strong spark on both cylinders. put some gas in it and it fired rite up. the float is hanging alittle bit so hopefully after i run a tank of seafoam threw it it will clear it up. i couldnt run it long due to my dad borrowd my plastic 55 gal drum, but ill run the piss outta it this weekend.

the float is half eatin cork :). ive found a replacement wich ill pick up if i decide to keep it, but so far i have a good runnin motor with nothing in it =D>

well im going to adj the points after work and take'r to the river. one last ?

what mix do these things run on?

thanks abunch fellers

Technically 50:1, but most (myself included) run those at 40:1 due to the fact that they still have bronze sleeve bearings. They just appreciate a little extra oil.

Latest posts