Kinkaid Lake, Southern Illinois 7/7/11

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baseball_guy_99

Reaction score
Time: 2:30-7:30pm
Weather: Mostly Cloudy/Little Rain
Temps: Lower 90's sinking into the lower 80's
Water: Temp 85-87 degrees
Water Clarity: Murky-Stained

My dad called me this morning and asked if I wanted to hit the lake after I got off work...of course I said yes!

I met him there at about 2:30. We hit the spot where we caught a bunch of bass in May during the tourney. It was a big grass flat with a few stumps here and there...no luck not even a bite. So we moved a little farther back into the cove and fished some lay downs. We caught several short bass that were all on wood.

We fished around that pocket and caught a few more smalls bass. Back out to another grass point...nothing. So we started to target lay downs.

We moved to a main lake bank that had several lay downs on it and my dad picked up this 4lb+ beauty. He caught it on a black and blue tube. We moved to the next lay downs and picked off 4 short ones off a small lay down.

The weather started to get bad so we headed near the boat ramp in case the skies decided to open up. Near the boat ramp, its all grass so I was flippin a black and blue sweet beaver and managed to get on bass that was 16 1/2". My 1st and only keeper of the day.

On the last cast my dad managed a squeaker that was right at 16" on a Ribbit Frog.

Most fish were caught on a black and blue tube or a black and blue sweet beaver. My dad caught a few on a Bomber Fat Free Fingerling in the Foxy Shad Color and a Green Pumpkin and red Ribbit Frog. I caught a few small ones on a watermelon red baby brush hog and a watermelon red jig.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 175
Man!, That is a nice fish...and they always say the fishing isn't as good from the back of the boat -- guess you proved that one wrong. :)

wow i didn't realize kinkaid had good bass in it i always heard it was a pan fish lake..
nice job
do you have any private ponds that need some bass?
we can hook up next summer and i will stock the pond for you

My dad always out fishes me from the back of the boat haha!

Red, We have always caught nice bass from Kinkaid...just got to know how to catch them I guess.

I wish I had a private pond to fish. We used to keep my aunt's pond pretty well stocked but she passed away 2 years ago and her husband sold the place. The pond was loaded with hybrid red ear, channel cat, and largemouth bass.

gotta love them hybred red ears they get huge.
I gotta figure out what to do with those fish
i hate throwing them on the bank but we gotta thin them out a bit

redbug said:
gotta love them hybred red ears they get huge.
I gotta figure out what to do with those fish
i hate throwing them on the bank but we gotta thin them out a bit

Let me know when and I can help take a few off your hands :) :) and, more movie days in trivia for you :) :)

Red, are you talking about bass or blue gills. If you are talking about gills, I'll come catch a bucket full and clean them and eat them. If you are talking about bass...I'm not sure what to do with those. Maybe take them and toss them in a local lake?

one of the other owners caught 75 crappies in 4 hours filled up 4 5 gallon buckets
i show up a month later and catch 25 while bass fishing all over 1 lb the gills are huge also
the biologist wants everything under 10" to hit the bank we have so many fish in that lake it is unreal

For those of you who do not fish Kinkaid. It is a great bass fishing lake. I have caught a number of fish in the 6 to 6 1/2 lb range. I cant seem to catch one any bigger but I have read several tounament reports of fish up to 8 lbs caught out of there.
Unless they are spawning stick to main lake points and secondary points that is where the better fish are.

Bass and grass, oh yeah

Railrdr011 is correct, Kinkaid is a great bass fishing lake.

My PB out of Kinkaid is 7lb 1oz.

My dad caught one in a tourney about 10 years ago that was 8lb 15oz...and that was in September.

I also agree with the main lake and secondary points.

Latest posts