KRS62's Bass Tracker Pro 17 build???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRS62

Reaction score
I thought I would start a build thread....request some opinions from the experienced guys.....to see if it stays a build thread! I bought this boat and for the most part, it is exactly the size boat I want. (Well I could use a 20 footer, but that is beside the point!) I also was open to and looking for a project. I am willing to work long hours and take months/years to complete if needed. BUT, I don't want to beat a dead horse if it is too far gone. I am also hoping to learn TIG welding soon and plan to purchase welder. (My Father-in-law was a certified welder all his life and can teach me.)

I still think it is a good project boat and okay with putting some $$ into it, especially considering the cost of new boats these days. (I have a 16ft Duracraft that is my main boat currently and it is running perfect. So no rush to get this done.)

- Transom for sure needs to be done. All foam needs out and/or replaced. Knew this going in. (I have seen several great threads and okay with it.)
- 2 inch crack in hull. "Nose plate" and front deck needs to be rebuilt. Okay with that.
- Trailer needs a complete refresh. Been there before and okay with it.

Here is where I am concerned (and maybe it just because this is the first work I have put into it): Got the floor up (PO had replaced original flooring.) It was of course water logged and weighed 10,000lbs! Anyway, that is out. No foam underneath! Yee haw. However, EVERY rivet has silicone caulking on it. You can also see a lot of "goop" as if they might have already had the spars up previously. Or at least they slathered it around to stop leaking. A quick water in boat test and and only had a 3-4 rivets leaking (caulk is still on all rivets.) I plan to remove caulk and re-test, but my guess is that all 3 middle spars/ribs will need to come up and be reset. (Did not see any cracks in them.) Best case is I have to re-do a few rivets in one, worst case (I think) is I'll have to pull them all up. (I read Sailor Jules' thread.)

So here are some questions if you don't mind:

- Yes, a lot of work....but would you still move forward? Sell it for scrap??? lol
- While the floor is up, would you repair all rivets or just the leaking ones.....and steel flex it on bottom?
- Assuming I (or father and law) get in our grove with the welding....would you pull the any ribs up, seal the rivet holes in hull and WELD ribs back on?

Thanks for your help in advance!

KRS

Attachments

• IMG_0491.JPG
    IMG_0491.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 2,986
  • IMG_0492.JPG
    IMG_0492.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 2,986
  • IMG_0494.JPG
    IMG_0494.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 2,986
  • IMG_0497.JPG
    IMG_0497.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 2,986
  • IMG_0500.JPG
    IMG_0500.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 2,986
  • IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 2,986
  • IMG_0505.JPG
    IMG_0505.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 2,986
  • IMG_0509.JPG
    IMG_0509.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 2,986
  • IMG_0511.JPG
    IMG_0511.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 2,986
  • IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,986
More pics.....

KRS

Attachments

• IMG_0527.JPG
    IMG_0527.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 2,978
  • IMG_0525.JPG
    IMG_0525.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 2,978
  • IMG_0540.JPG
    IMG_0540.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 2,978
  • IMG_0541.JPG
    IMG_0541.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 2,978
  • IMG_0542.JPG
    IMG_0542.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 2,978
  • IMG_0544.JPG
    IMG_0544.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 2,978
  • IMG_0543.JPG
    IMG_0543.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 2,978
  • IMG_0545.JPG
    IMG_0545.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 2,978
  • IMG_0547.JPG
    IMG_0547.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 2,978
Perhaps a question only you can answer. By that I mean a great deal of what you have ahead of you is an investment of your time. Yes there are costs involved but you have to decide if the time invested is worth the pride you will have in the end result. I was a gunsmith for 25 years and I have a couple of rifles I built for myself that I have untold hours invested in. If I had to value them by time invested I could never sell them for what they are worth. But they are not for sale because I built them with my own hands for myself and I show them off with pride.

The initial shock of seeing what was under the floor has faded and I am planning to keep her and fix her up. I have a buddy that has an air rivet gun (for solid rivets) and bucking bars. (I have an air pop rivet gun that I am sure to use plenty on project.)

I have pulled most of the silicone off of the rivet heads and will do another leak test today and report back. The hull looks okay so far, but all four ribs are cracked on the very ends. (As shown in pic.) It may not matter depending on how many rivets I will need to drill out and replace...but I am if it is only a few rivets...that I can weld/repair these cracks without pulling up the rib. Any thoughts? I am going to post over on a welding forum as well to see what they say.

KRS

Attachments

• IMG_20141005_112724.jpg
    IMG_20141005_112724.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 2,929
I am starting to get to work on this boat. With my schedule, I know it will take a long time to finish, but expect to get some solid gains on her this fall. I have one of the front ribs half drilled out and will do the rest shortly. (It actually doesn't take too long considering...) Anyway, my plan is to get this rib out clean it up and see how it welds and how it goes back in. I may attempt the welds, but if I can't handle it I have a few pros that I can get on the cheap!

KRS

Attachments

• IMG_20150704_122034.jpg
    IMG_20150704_122034.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 2,713
  • IMG_20150704_122045.jpg
    IMG_20150704_122045.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 2,713
  • IMG_20150702_173750.jpg
    IMG_20150702_173750.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 2,713
Well if you're selling it for scrap let me know! Lol looks like an awesome project. Lots of work but when you finish it will feel all that much better. I don't know about pulling all the ribs... If it were me I'd clean it up, leak test, rebuck any leaky rivets(replace if too bad) and then gluvit. Good luck with your build and keep the pics coming.

Definitely looks like a big project but it has the opportunity to be a really nice set up that you can say you built!

Here is a video of the boat as I received it:

[youtube]nY9uKK9CsW4[/youtube]

Man have you got your work cut out for ya. That's as barebones as you can get. :lol: I am going to subscribe and follow your build. The video is a nice touch, very informative.

Goodluck. I'm in on this thread because I'm contemplating picking up an old tracker this winter to upgrade from my 1436. I'm not afraid of doing some work on it; I'd personally be running the other way from your hull. Looks like a good blank canvass though, only limited by your time, imagination, and wallet!

Look like your hands and a lot of free time are going to be busy for awhile. Glad mine is all open and not had anything done to it yet. Good luck on the build. You should be pretty good with aluminum welding when you get to the end. Lolh :mrgreen:

Hi Wyatt - No progress yet. I am in FL and its too hot right now. I am targeting the fall. KRS

I'd find a welding shop willing to handle those cracks before going too far. I'm having a bear of a time finding anyone willing to attempt to fix a cracked weld in my Tracker III (similar construction) as the aluminum they used was on the thin side for welding & the welder's I've visited are nervous about blowing holes in it & doing more harm than good.

onthewater102 said:
I'd find a welding shop willing to handle those cracks before going too far. I'm having a bear of a time finding anyone willing to attempt to fix a cracked weld in my Tracker III (similar construction) as the aluminum they used was on the thin side for welding & the welder's I've visited are nervous about blowing holes in it & doing more harm than good.
If that is the case , they are hacks not qualified welders. Or maybe they just do not want to be bothered with the job of working on a boat. If you keep looking for a good shop you will find one that does quality work. I weld everyday, and can tig weld i soda can back together after being cut in half, so that tracker aint to thin.