l.e.d. running lights question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCOWANWHEELS

Reaction score
what is the best bang for the buck on the l.e.d. bow and stern nightime running lights > I have a 1964 starcraft alum v-bottom and would prefer to not molest it. any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
bob in tn.

A lot of the store-bought LED's that fit nav lights do not have enough lumens output to be USCG compliant. Check out a site called superbrightleds.com You'll find all kinds of LED festoon bulbs (typically used in bow lights) and the spade-type bulbs, as well.

Hey Bob, The led festoon bulbs, mentioned by PSG-1, are a replacement for the incandescent bulbs
found on the Atwood fixtures and come in a variety of other common sizes for car, truck, etc. as well.
+2 on superbrightleds.com Jerry :)

+3 for superbrightleds.com, have bought replacement bulbs for my backup lights on the Raptor from them. That is currently on my list of things to order for the boat, all other lights in the boat are l.e.d. just need to change the bow and stern lights. Help reduce bugs for night fishing.

I used these for my bow lights. Super bright, low profile and stay out of the way while entering and exiting the boat. I'm really happy I went with these. You can see them installed in the last few pages of my build thread.

https://www.oznium.com/super-bright-12v-led-module

For the stern light I got this. Nice and bright as well.

https://www.amazon.com/MARINE-ROUND-PLUG-IN-ANCHOR-LIGHT/dp/images/B00CZDXZAC

Yeah, superbrite puts out really good products. I discovered them when I first installed a set of prow lights on my jetboat. The factory bulbs were 55W halogens, and when I'd turn them on, the voltage meter on my console would DROP, from the excessive amp drain, of 5 amps each. Even though my engine's voltage regulator puts out about 15 amps at 6K RPM, it wouldn't keep up.

So, I bought MR-16 LED's to replace them. They are the same intensity as 55W halogens, but a fraction of the amp draw, at 1/2 amp each. Once I saw how effective these were, I replaced all the incadescent lights on my jetboat with LED's. I can run all my nav lights, prow lights, and all the lights of the guages of my console, and the volt meter doesn't drop at all!

I highly recommend superbrite LED's.

guess thats what i,ll run. also I wont have to drill any holes. I knew I could depend on you fellas.
thanks
bob

Latest posts