Leaning Post Rear Seat for Aluminum Center Console

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowe 2070 CC

Reaction score
It seems like nobody knows what aluminum CC's look like, as everytime you mention wanting some type of leaning post they kick you over to the offshore/bayboat forum and start showing you $1000 white vinyl and shiny aluminum posts to bolt to your floor.

Reality is, there isn't room between the console and rear deck. You can't just sit on the rear deck, because then you can't see. Then again, I get tired of always standing, with no support, especially when it's rough. I'd like to lean back, if not sit occasionally.

Then there is the fact that my boat is Camo, not white.

Essentially i'm looking to build something 8-12" higher than my rear deck that I can mount a bench seat on top of, 36-48" wide.

I've seen enough folks hear and elsewhere bring up the topic so I thought I'd throw it out there. Who here has custom fabbed a leaning post/rear seat to work within the constraints of their console and rear deck? I'd love to see pics if you've got any.

Nowhere to put it. there is about 20" between my console and rear deck for your feet/knees, that and the fact that the flip/flop cooler seat would be no higher than my current deck.

I have actually placed a cooler on the rear deck and leaned on the edge of it though. It's a little too high.

That's a thought. Whatever I use has to go on top of the rear deck, so it would be shallow storage.

On the G3 there is about 36" between the rear deck and the console. Thus you can slide a cooler or storage box in there and still have 16-18" of space left for you to stand. On the Lowe there is only 20" between the deck and console to begin with (the tradeoff is I get more open floor in front of the console). Thus anything you put between them eliminates your spot to stand. There is also a raised hump in the Lowe where the wiring and controls run that prevent anything from sitting flush.

So, the rear deck is the logical and comfortable place to sit, it's just a foot too low.

Maybe you could make or buy something like an aluminum truck box? Some of those are pretty shallow, but you'd have to mount a cushion or something on top somehow.
Like a Top Mount Box ? That one is 48 x 12 3/4 x 16, so you could lay it on it's back for a 12" height.

There's also some Alumacraft storage boxes at AK McCallum that might work.

These are stock shots from Lowe. While they make the rear deck look like the place to sit, it is too low to see well, and impossible if someone sits in front of the console. So you end up standing most of the time, which I prefer anyway, but you have nothing to lean back on.

You can stand or sit but nothing in between.

Don't get me wrong here, I love to boat, the open space, the stability, everything but the lack of visibility if I sit, and lack of support if I stand.

Attachments

• boat-overhead_8680.png
    boat-overhead_8680.png
    125.9 KB · Views: 10,372
  • boat-gallery_8692.jpg
    boat-gallery_8692.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 10,372
  • boat-gallery_8684.jpg
    boat-gallery_8684.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 10,372
Looked high and low and have found only this post covering what I am considering, and would like you opinions.

I have an 1870 Weldcraft aluminum center console with a 115 Yamaha. We use it for fishing and family riding/skiing/ wakeboarding. Like most center consoles, seating space is short. Would like to add seating space behind the wheel to allow for two people to sit and a more comfortable seating postioon while driving.

Since the rear casting platform is right behind the helm, the drivers seat is very short, not matching many of the available seats. A custom made seat/ leaning post (with very short legs) starts at $1000.

I was considering installing an aluminum tool box and adding a cushion on top for a better driving position and room for another at the wheel. I would be mounting the toolbox on plastic or rubber spacers so water wouldn't be trapped between it and the boat and to reduce vibrations. The cushion would be attached to a piece of marine plywood that would be attached to the lid. If I really got bold, I would have two aluminum "arms" bent and I could add a back tot eh bench also made from a cushion on plywood.

The whole boat:
1093756E-4B11-4C99-99ED-97CEA55F3A47-16655-000022BC8769CF4F.jpg

Seating position:
boatcastingplatform2_zps88e45bd1.jpg

Toolbox I am considering is a Delta model 429000, https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Champion-429000-Aluminum-Portable/dp/B00164VHGU.

41w0MPDVfYL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

I feel your pain. It amazes me that if you search the web, there are numerous posts from folks looking for some type of leaning post but no one out there is addressing the need. I suppose the market is still too small.

Like you I found that the places that would custom build something wanted $800-$1000. Which I just can't see. I'm looking at a removable setup using a 48" Tempress folding bench seat.

Good luck and post up your results.

What about something like these. This is the xpress style that they put on the bay boats. It would ALS be something that a local fabricator could put together

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/392535-leaning-post.html
https://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/custom-leaning-post-alum-cc-jon-boat-386414.html

I like the toolbox idea, you might be able to attach a seat/backrest to it also, and you can't have too much storage on a boat! Might have to move the seat pedistal base towards the stern.

After looking at all the ideas and suggestions, I decided on a simple leaning post from thi thread:

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/392535-leaning-post.html

I sent an email to a fabricator just a couple miles from the house and he figured $400-450. I am on his schedule for 4/18 and hope to have it back by the following Monday. I'll post the finished product and pics when I get it back.

Sorry I came into this thread so late. Years ago I had a DuraCraft 21' w/center console and experienced the same issues you mentioned. Their solution was a shallow storage box (12 deep, 16 wide and probably 48 or so side to side) with your choice of a solid bench type seat or 2 individual seats and it was under 300.00 complete. Check a dealer or maybe the DuraCraft website.....assuming they are still in business???

+2 about my being late. I liked your solution, it is one I had not seen.
Here is one I had made custom by a guy in tarpon springs that also makes towers.
I can sit back and still reach the wheel, has 4 launchers, but was $550 by the time it was done.
DSC00320.jpg

Jerry

Latest posts