led trailer light problem

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00 mod

Reaction score
Ok, so my trailer light on one side quit working ( trailer brand new 9 months ago). I took off the face cover to check the first obvious thing (bulb) and found a plastic 3x3 roughly piece of plastic with multiple led lights saudered into it. tried to pull that piece out and found out it has the 2 main wires running into it. These are supposed to be submersible led lights. I was wondering if the wires to the light are hot, and the ground is for sure good, then do I have to replace the entire unit?

Jeff

Try jumping direct to the light (through the LED thingy of course) and see if that works

BTW - there are no "bulbs" in an LED light

Make sure you don't have a short somewhere on that side, but like captain said try jumping directly to the LED's themselves to make sure they are good. You might be able to use a little 9v battery to see if they light up, just make sure you have your polarity correct or they will not work.

If they work try hooking up the battery source to the connector on the trailer and see if you get lights, if not then you might have a loose connection somewhere dont the line. But if you do get lights then you know its something to do with your wiring harness on your vehicle.

Thanks for the help....will be working on this tomorrow so I can be legal on my Sunday trip!

Jeff

Ok, ewll I went by the local u-haul and had them hook my truck up to the piggyback and it checked out fine...must be from plug back on trailer. After work tomorrow...will give report!

jeff

Make sure it is not a fuse in your vehicle. That has happened to about everyone I know that pulls trailers including myself.

Most of my trailer light troubles have been traced back to a bad ground. Instead of running separate ground wires, they tie the front end to the trailer ...and then the rear end(s) to the trailer.

In your case, since the trouble is only on one side, that side's rear end ground connection should be inspected closely. Rich

richg99 said:
Most of my trailer light troubles have been traced back to a bad ground. Instead of running separate ground wires, they tie the front end to the trailer ...and then the rear end(s) to the trailer.

In your case, since the trouble is only on one side, that side's rear end ground connection should be inspected closely. Rich

I agree 100%

sf

Ok so after having my truck checked out and ruling that out 100%, I hooked up boat and took off the cover of the light again and as I did, the lit started working again. So I wiggled it and it stopped. The plug on the back of the light was being pulled out by the tight wires coming into it, so I pulled a little slack to give it some room, made sure it was plugged tight, and put it back together. Will let you know after trip tomorrow how it holds up!

Jeff

00 mod said:
Ok so after having my truck checked out and ruling that out 100%, I hooked up boat and took off the cover of the light again and as I did, the lit started working again. So I wiggled it and it stopped. The plug on the back of the light was being pulled out by the tight wires coming into it, so I pulled a little slack to give it some room, made sure it was plugged tight, and put it back together. Will let you know after trip tomorrow how it holds up!

Jeff

AWESOME! Always those tiny details that get us every time

Glad to see you found it and fixed it

Great news. Glad for you.

Seems a shame, though, that safety items...like brake lights; turn signals etc. are held together by the flimsiest of connections. Ought to be a better way. Rich

Just got back home from fishing, and it took the ride there and back and still works! LOL Glad it is fixed!

Jeff

If you use your boat a lot like I do year round here on the bay, you may want to think about the pvc post lights like I installed on my boat. For sure, no more light problems LOl

Attachments

• extended lights2.jpg
    extended lights2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 112
  • extended lights.jpg
    extended lights.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 112

Latest posts