Let's talk about fishing!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We fish the spawn for White Bass (Sandbass here in Tx), and catch them as a by-product of fishing freshy Striped, and Hybrid Striped Bass. Here are a few pics.

Been River Striper fishing in Ga. Kids love the jet boat ride and catching fish. This is my youngest daughter. Loves to reel them in but won't hold one for nothing... I'd say I've been 90 percent successful...lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,008
Snakehead from a recent trip back to my mother land of southern MD.

snakehead.jpg

we just got home from 4 days of kokanee fishing.stopped at one of our favorite rainbow lakes on the way home,caught 4 in 2 hours,then headed on home.good weekend.

My younger daughter was able to get off work and come home for the weekend to spend some time with the old man for his birthday. She didn't have to ask twice when she said she wanted to go fishing. Turned out to be the best afternoon of fishing I've had on the middle Susquehanna in probably 10 years. We caught a dozen smallmouth and quite a few more than that catfish. 6 or 8 of the catfish and 3 of the bass were on live minnows, a couple bass on Craw Pappi's, but the hot bait for both was actually 4" Gulp Emerald Shiners. We probably lost close to 10 bass throwin lures on jumps. I was as excited as a school boy at recess. It's been too many years since I've seen that many bass jumping at the end of my line.

IMG_0226_zpsxx0ftkxq.jpg

IMG_5018_zpscyzqlbvl.jpg

Bass fishing in CT has been really off this year according to just about everyone on my CT fishing forum - we had a late ice out (beginning of the 3rd week in April) with the water breaking into the 40's only in the last week of April, but from there on out the season's been in a mad dash fast forward. Within the first three weeks of May we saw the entire pre-spawn movement pattern, followed by the actual spawn with nests everywhere, and onto a post-spawn funk by the Memorial Day weekend (which was about the time of the last full moon). 3 weeks from start to finish!! There are tens of thousands of fry in all the weeds at this point - so it was a successful spawn, I just can't remember it ever progressing as quickly as it has from the point the water hit 40 degrees and the fish started to wake up to the point that everything is back to being lazy again.

Add insult to injury and the real aggressive bite that usually follows the post-spawn scatter funk (when the water hits 68-70 and their metabolism maxes out) never materialized. Instead they've gone straight into the heat of summer lazy-all-day gorging down at night despite the fact that we're about to hit the new moon which usually puts the skunk on a night bite...

Very very wierd year.

Still haven't managed to break 4lbs, a few 3's but nothing really picture worthy. I took a quick pic of a <2.5 just to have something to show I didn't get skunked on my report from last Friday...

ZI4Z4TBl.jpg

The little guy sure shows off a 3lb fish nicely!!!

fPFcvMxl.jpg

Same size fish in the hands of one of my other fishing buddies...not nearly as impressive looking. This fish was a big round girl who still hadn't spawned as of last Wednesday afternoon. Sunfish were on their nests already, so she's just too late to the party this year...

n6WUHCPl.jpg

My only non-pickerel prize for 4 hours on the water last Friday morning...long skinny spawned out girl in desperate need of a crawfish buffet...sad...at least the tinny build-out is exceeding my expectations.

H20hawgs said:
Went out and flipped some Shad for rockfish aka striped bass...

https://youtu.be/hUl0U1Z_m34

Great video - loosk like fun.

Next trip have you fishing partner toss a bait behind the fish you are reeling in - those striped carp like to "follow the leader" and there is likely another fish behind the hooked fish

Captain Ahab said:
H20hawgs said:
Went out and flipped some Shad for rockfish aka striped bass...

https://youtu.be/hUl0U1Z_m34

Great video - loosk like fun.

Next trip have you fishing partner toss a bait behind the fish you are reeling in - those striped carp like to "follow the leader" and there is likely another fish behind the hooked fish
Yes they do.... We double up a few times. I just put up a clip of pitching. Fun day. No doubt.

Caught my personal best channel catfish over the holiday weekend. 10# 6oz. Was fishing right up against a large dam in the Upper Potomac River in Maryland. Was by myself, so didn't get the best pictures :cry:

IMG_20150702_202930_zpsfqjknlxs.jpg

IMG_20150702_202844_zpsybxkcy2c.jpg

AWESOME!!! There is a dam at the head of the impounded lake I fish quite often here in CT, and I've heard it's the spot for cats if you're going to find them anywhere, I just don't know the first thing about targeting them - any tips??? I know there are white cats in there, not sure if channels have made their way in yet or not, but no-one really targets them so it's hard to say.

onthewater102 said:
AWESOME!!! There is a dam at the head of the impounded lake I fish quite often here in CT, and I've heard it's the spot for cats if you're going to find them anywhere, I just don't know the first thing about targeting them - any tips??? I know there are white cats in there, not sure if channels have made their way in yet or not, but no-one really targets them so it's hard to say.

I really just started targeting catfish this year. Mostly out of frustration at my lack of smallmouth success. I used to just fish any old spot in the river with chicken livers and similar baits. Always did well with catching a lot of smaller channels this way. But I've always heard that fishing right against the face of the dam could produce some big ones, along with using cut bait. What I've been doing recently is catching my own sunfish and bluegill and cutting them into three sections. Head, tail and midsection. I don't use the tail and if the fish is big enough you can get 2-3 pieces out of the mid section. I use a 4/0 kahle hook with a 1/2 or 1 oz egg sinker (depending on current) carolina rigged. I hook the head through the eyes and it seems to stay on for ever. The mid sections I hook right below the spine. A lot of times I cast right into the dam face itself. But I also look for calmer water right below the dam that usually indicates a deeper hole of some sort, and cast right at it. Using cut bait seems slower for me and I don't catch as many fish, but the ones I catch (and miss) are always bigger than on any other bait.

Great cat Terp!
If you have flatheads there they prefer live fish like bluegills or maybe a small, 12" or under, stinky sucker depending on how big of cats...

Catfishing has still been producing. Took my little brother (14) Friday evening and he caught his first catfish. A 5#10oz. channel. He was fired up!! I followed up later in the evening with a 12#10oz. flathead and right after another flathead at 11#4oz. He's already trying to find another weekend to go with me. Which I'm looking forward to as well.

IMG_20150710_171637_zpsaxplefma.jpg

ART_1436618585837_zpsyne3ysoh.jpg

Nice haul on the catfish. Flathead cat is by far my favorite to eat of all the catfish family. The meat is so white and flakey when it's cooked properly. I personally prefer the ones 10 lbs or under. Maybe it's just my perception (several friends agree), but something in the texture of the meat changes when they get much larger than that. But they're all fun to catch and I eat all of them including the blue and channel and or those at 30+ lbs, because even if they aren't my "preferred" size flathead, they still taste pretty darn good. :mrgreen: