LISTEN TO THESE GUYS DON'T USE JB WELD!!!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBRMINER

Reaction score
just posting this for reference and a reminder... JB Weld WILL crack after as little as a year maybe last 3-4 like mine did but it WILL crack. It is NOT suitable for boats. Don't use it. Just don't.

Thanks lol now off to buy 5200 to redo work I already did.......

Yup, too rigid for something like a tinny that flexes with every wave.....

I removed all sorts of screws that I filled the screw holes with jb-weld and jb-kwik over 7 years ago. Looks great, yet today. I, however would never use it to bond 2 sheets of metal together. I only use it as a very durable body filler and use it like glue so my patches are pieces of aluminum riveted to the boat hull with the weld between the pieces.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=362852#p362852 said:
ericman » 10 Aug 2014, 06:17[/url]"]I removed all sorts of screws that I filled the screw holes with jb-weld and jb-kwik over 7 years ago. Looks great, yet today. I, however would never use it to bond 2 sheets of metal together. I only use it as a very durable body filler and use it like glue so my patches are pieces of aluminum riveted to the boat hull with the weld between the pieces.

Agreed! I think it is just fine for small non structural holes above the waterline.

I rebored it now, and put in my own drainpipe, but last year I used water weld to fill a one inch hole the previous owner had in the transom for his own make shift drain plug. It didn't crack or leak at all through several months of heavy fishing. Had I not put the new drain pipe in, I'm sure it would have held up this year as well.

Not sure if you meant regular JB Weld, or all of it, but that's my experience with water weld.

I recently used JB Weld to fill some holes the previous owner created when screwing the rear transom plywood to the boat.

Most were above the waterline, I think maybe 2 or 3 were just at the waterline.

I will report any findings should anything appear busted!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=363226#p363226 said:
lovedr79 » Yesterday, 14:19[/url]"]I used JB weld to fill a hole in the bottom of a boat 5 years ago. still holding on strong. can post pick if need be.

X2

Ive used it for repairs on mine as well and have had no issues. Just don't use for structural support. Maybe you had a bad batch or it was incorrectly mixed.

Latest posts