Live well/bench seat material

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMull53

Reaction score
So I removed the seat from the middle bench and added to a pedestal on the new front deck I just built on my 14' Jon. my question is, what is everyone's thoughts on using butcher block or a thick cutting board as the lid for the live well/seat, it's waterproof and will be able to cover the live well, 2. it'll be thick enough to support a rear end of a person and C. and obviously can be used as a cutting board for bait and fish. What are everyone's thoughts has anyone tried this yet?

BTW this is my first boat and it was a steal from craigslist! and I'm new to the forum....

I don't see anything wrong with it. My only concern would be how to keep it down while banging along the waves. Plus with it being a live well, how will you seal it to keep the water in. If it was recessed with some weatherstrip type material with a latch, I'd say you nailed it.
Sometimes you can find some aluminum hatches on EBay and sometimes just the frames.
Hope this helps.

Awesome. Thanks guys.

Yes I plan on latching it or using a seal/recessed combo of some sort.

Yes the middle bench was already set up with a live well but the lid was 3/4 plywood with the seat attached to that.

My last concern would be UV protection. I remember fishing a couple friends off shore boats that had cutting boards at the bait stations and they seemed to last.

But I'm thinking if you take a standard thickness (seems most are about 3/8") and drill a couple holes and mount a seat, there may be too much leverage and it might crack. See if you can get something that is closer to 1/2" +.

Try a piece of 5/8" thick poly cutting board, instead of the wood butcher block. Can often buy them at Wal Mart for 5-9 bucks. Tough, strong and never rot.

-TH

So here's the update when I meant butcher block I was talking about the poly type material it's 3/4 inch I have it cut out and ready to be mounted I will be mounting it tomorrow and I will post pictures afterwards.

Latest posts