Lone Star 1956 Restore

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I can see, it appears you're going to need to extend the tongue of the trailer, add another roller, move the winch forward, and move the boat up so that much more of the back weight rests on the axle and wheels.

I think. :?

Kismet said:
From what I can see, it appears you're going to need to extend the tongue of the trailer, add another roller, move the winch forward, and move the boat up so that much more of the back weight rests on the axle and wheels.

I think. :?

I totally agree with the weight over the axles. You are absolutely right. :)

The trailer is her original trailer. I know there were back wooden block braces on the trailer when it was new, but of course they are long gone. The runners were rotted off so I replaced with 2x4 scrap that we had, just to get by. The runners need to be 2x6's and longer. When it was new, the tongue could slide forward/backward to adjust, and, the winch was telescoping. Not sure when or who, but the tongue was spot welded in the position it is in, and the telescoping winch as well. To add to that, the handle to release the tilt has been cut off. It has bungee cords on it right now. I might have to ask my uncle about that. Maybe he can remember. #-o

A gent for South Texas that has the exact trailer was so very kind as to send me pics of his with the handle and spring. When the trailer is redone, those pieces will have to be manufactured and welded back on.

Also, the battery placement is on the right side, just under the back dash, in the floor. And, wood up in the front for the rumble seat. I know that will make a difference in weight towards the front as well.

As always, thank you for your comments and sharing your wisdom. :D
M

Her Captain......a year later, our grandson in his old boat. :mrgreen:

He informed me yesterday that he needs to drive her on the water. I couldn't agree more. :wink:
He also informed me, "Nana, you need to raise the seat so I can see to drive". :LOL2:

Mounted the plates yesterday, but have to have another cap bent. Not long enough on the inside to catch the bolts coming thru. 8-[ ooops......

BTW: Used hot pink fingernail polish to mark the holes. It worked! 8)
M

7.8.2015b.jpg7.8.2015c.jpg

You might consider just replacing the trailer with a new,used, one. The boat is the stunning original; the trailer adds less to the nostalgic package. For the money to do all that to the trailer you have might easily pay for a decent used trailer which just needed minor stuff like bearings and a paint job.

Save yourself time and aggravation and parts searching.

justsayin'

I hear ya! Something to think about. :-k

I've always wanted to keep her original. She does have her original motor and trailer. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Time to work on her controls and see what I can get done with those today. :?
Can't get another cap bent until our little friend gets off work. That's ok........I can wait. :)

Pink nail polish. Sure it works. :roll:
At least to compensate for it's use the grandson has a hint of a future Evinrude owner glint in his eye. L.o.l..
Longer bunks should get you by for a while if you're not trailering it beyond the yard.
If you ever add slicks to bunks, keep a safety chain attached till boat is in the water.
I covered the whole surface of bunks and after dumping boat on launch, reloaded it and then stood it on end halfway down the ramp in a couple feet of water. #-o
Would have made an educational video....

WaterWaif said:
At least to compensate for it's use the grandson has a hint of a future Evinrude owner glint in his eye. L.o.l..
Longer bunks should get you by for a while if you're not trailering it beyond the yard.
If you ever add slicks to bunks, keep a safety chain attached till boat is in the water.
I covered the whole surface of bunks and after dumping boat on launch, reloaded it and then stood it on end halfway down the ramp in a couple feet of water. #-o
Would have made an educational video....

:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:
No, we won't be trailering her very far. We live on a lake, and, have a private ramp for small boats. I've backed her in the water using our Kawasaki Mule before. But, that was without her motor.

I wish I could have been watching your launch. It's funny, but I know it's not funny. Throughout the years, I've seen several incidents of loading/unloading boats at the public boat ramp. Some were funny, others were down right scary. :shock:

The grandson....he just loves all boats. 8)

A little more work done.
Control box taken back apart. Sanded, primed and painted, along with the levers/handles.
Back Lone Star decals put on both sides. The pics make them appear as if they are not straight, but they are. I suppose because the boat is at an angle. :roll:

I got the cables to free up. :) One end is missing that hooks to the motor. :( I'll post a pic of it later.

I am trying so hard to get this old gal on the water. Seems as though I take one step forward and two steps back ](*,) , but I won't give up. I Won't!
7.15.2015a.jpg7.15.2015c.jpg7.15.2015b.jpg

Waterwaif,

I was just reading your comments again;

Years ago, a general contractor taught me how to use either lipstick or nail polish to know exactly where to place the striker plate on a door facing. Just put some on the end of the deadbolt, shut the door and work the lock set to mark the spot. Works every time! :mrgreen: Worked for marking my existing holes, too.

Another little trick.....fingernail polish remover with acetone will take off permanent marker. :wink:

Still waiting for my little friend to bend another piece of aluminum for the cap. His job has him really busy right now. That's ok....I will wait. :popcorn:

I've "borrowed" polish to enhance gun sites a few times. And to paint a couple fishing lures. Seldom garnered any applause from the bottles owner though..
A gal thought she would do me a favor once and cleaned my motorcycle helmet with nail polish remover. #-o

Pics of the cable ends, before I cleaned them real good.

The control box ends are in good shape. I am missing one of the ends to the motor connection. I have located one at Mr. John's (johns old mercs) for $24.95. :shock: I've got the brass clevis pins that go on the motor brackets. Guess I better just bite the bullet and order it tomorrow from Mr. John. Gotta have it.

Got the box and levers all put back together this morning. Looks good, if I do say so myself. 8) I'll have to take it back apart to put the key switch in, but that's only two bolts. I just had to see what it looked like. :)

We'll see what tomorrow brings. Show is hot, and our little grandson is under the weather. :cry: Has a broken molar (baby tooth) that has to come out in a few days. He might stay with Nana instead of daycare tomorrow so Moma can go to work. Maybe he can help Nana wire the key switch. :wink:
7.16.2015a.jpg7.16.2015b.jpg7.16.2015c.jpg

I just found this thread and am amazed at the transformation and your dedication to making her as beautiful as she once was. Fantastic, I can't wait to see her in the water in all her new found glory.
Kudos to you fine folks for doing this.

mirroman said:
I just found this thread and am amazed at the transformation and your dedication to making her as beautiful as she once was. Fantastic, I can't wait to see her in the water in all her new found glory.
Kudos to you fine folks for doing this.

Thank you, Sir. I truly appreciate your comments. I'm trying! :)
Glad you are enjoying the thread. Stay tuned!

Well fellas, I'm at a standstill, again. ](*,) Mr. John hasn't answered me on the cable end, so posted a thread on the "Buy, Sell, Swap" for one. If any of you have one you'd like to sell, please PM me. I've searched ebay today, to no avail. I also posted on CL under boat parts by owner, and wanted. Sure hope one turns up.

Wish I knew if a newer one would work or not. I never realized there were so many different types and sizes. :shock: Gosh, I don't have a clue what size diameter this one is. Do any of you?

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.
M

Barefoot_Johnny said:
a quick look back at the cable ends, I see they look just like
my old 1979 Johnson controls.

Oh Really? I am not literate on cable ends. #-o I have some knowledge of how they work, but just not sure of what to buy. I will try to measure the diameter (and length) tomorrow morning. Perhaps that will give us some more info.

Thanks Mr. Johnny! :)

Michelle
Try asking for info on the AOMCI website. https://aomci.org/
You'll want to ask on the "Ask A Member" forum.
When You find out what You need, post an ad in the "Free Classifieds".
There are some members that really know Merc's.
Good Luck.

Steve A W

Latest posts