Lone Star 1956 Restore

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks a mil guys! I really appreciate both of you. :D

Just heard from Mr. John. He's shipping it out today. He has been so good to me throughout this whole build. He has talked me through several aspects of that old Merc, including helping me identify her. Really, really cool dude. 8)

I've mentioned him before, but I must once again......if anybody needs parts for old Mercs, John McIntosh is The Man.
https://www.johnsmcintoshvintagemercuryoutboard.com/

And, if you need help, these guys on here are The Men! =D> =D> =D> You guys have helped me so much. I can never thank you enough. \:D/ Most of all, thank ALL of you for always treating me with respect. You fellas are the Best! :beer:

On to the key switch so I can get these controls back together and mounted. :-k I spent several hours yesterday studying the diagrams. Had to finally just look away, as I was only confusing myself. With a clear mind, and a brand new day, perhaps I can get it done today.

Thanks again fellas!
M

Well, well, well......Confession time......
No wonder I was having trouble with the key switch. Apparently, I bought one for a riding lawn mower with a magneto. :oops: Good grief Charlie Brown! 8-[

My bad....I went into O'Reilly's and asked for a 3 position key switch with a place for a magneto. Dude sold it to me and took my $15, no problem. That was last winter. Anybody need a key switch for a mower? :wink:

Mounted the control box back on to the boat. I know I will have to take the face back off to add in a key/ignition switch, and an electric choke button. Kind of getting ahead of myself on that, but, I've got to get the motor set with the controls hooked up. The foot has to come back off. It's stuck in gear. :x I think it will be easier to work on with it mounted to the boat with the controls hooked up. :-k Thanks to crazyman2, he advised me every step of the way in getting that foot back on in the first place. MUST be in forward gear. Well, the hubby and our neighbor thought it was in forward gear, so they bolted it back on. That was back in the spring. I was grateful they got her cranked up that day. :D

Received the cable end from Mr. John yesterday. :)

I'll tell ya fellas......it's awfully hard to restore an old boat on a tight budget. Some how, some way....."Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise". [-o< Yes, the hubby is right, she is my money pit. But, she's paid for and she's mine. (well, and my grandson's :mrgreen:)

Sometimes I feel like Johnny Cash.....one part at a time. :lol:

I'll post a few pics later.......

:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:
Absolutely!!!!

I was wondering if someone was going to comment about the "one part at a time". It's actually "One Piece At A Time". Telling my age, but I do remember the song, quite well. The only difference is, I'm paying for my pieces and parts. :LOL2:

Mr. Johnny, an elderly gent once told us, "A boat.....if you're gonna play, you're gonna pay"! Boy howdy is that the truth! :wink:

I promised a few pics.....
Control cable end is on and ready. Put the brass yokes back on the side of the motor, as well.

Still waiting for our little friend to bend the transom cap for me. Said he will tomorrow after work. I sure hope so. :)

7.26.2015b.jpg7.26.2015e.jpg

BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand

LOL Johnny Cash knows how to build a car !! That song is still popular today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM

I remember building a house a few years ago . . . and the roofing crew would sing
different songs . . . my favorite was . . .

how do you build a house ? One Board at a Time, Sweet Jesus, One Board at a Time.
and the entire hymn would have words substituted with lumber, nails, hammers, etc.
(sniff, I miss those guys)

I for one, would be interested in seeing a pic of the new cable end you found for your motor.

Good Luck in your Build !!

Mr. Johnny, you crack me up! :roflmao:

I will post a pic of the cable end for you. Thank you, Sir, for your kind words and continued support. And, thanks for reminding of an old hymn. :D

I am going to screw those seats down today, even if they are temps.

M

I for one, would be interested in seeing a pic of the new cable end you found for your motor.

Here ya go Mr. Johnny. I will place the keeper bolt and roller pin when it is attached to the motor.

I did screw down those temporary seats this morning. I had a near "Oh my goodness" the other day when I stepped on one to get in the boat. Flew up on one side. :shock: I'm way too old be be thrown out of a boat, much less one that is on dry land. [-X
7.27.2015a.jpg7.27.2015b.jpg

I tried to use a manual brake machine this morning, as I got tired of waiting for our little friend. I found out that I am not strong enough to do any more than make a dent. :x (still waiting....)
Pulling hair out.jpg

One step forward, two steps back......
As I was figuring out the wiring on the external lead to the control box, I had to cut the binding back. What I found was crumbling insulation; dry rotted. :( The more I cut back (in 3" intervals), the more I found. I was devastated, knowing another external harness was going to be $$$. It blew the wind right out of my sails. :cry: A new key switch was the least of my worries.

I had to just stop and pray about it. The next morning, I started again, cutting away in 3" intervals. By this time, I was only 3' from the head, but I finally got to good wires. Thank You Lord, THANK YOU! [-o<

So....I've got to splice in, all six wires, for the other 8' I cut off. That's ok! I can do that! :D Hubby says let him look at it, before I buy the wire, to make sure I buy the right stranded gauge. I'll butt connect them and heat shrink. Will need to put it in a loom, but don't want split loom. I'm thinking a black water hose and heat shrink. Comments?

BTW: The battery leads are in good shape. [-o<

(still waiting on the aluminum to be bent for the transom cap) :popcorn:

Since I am at a stand still on all of the above, I think I will sand a bit on the underneath side of the rub rail today. Hey, I've gotta do something besides mow! :-k

in my world, I would run all new wires from the control box back to the motor terminal block.
Crimp on new eyelet terminal ends.
If you have a quick-disconnect plug between the motor and control box, I would take it out
and run straight wires from point "A" to point "B".
then, put all the wires in a plastic loom to make it look nice plus keep them all together.
Well worth the extra effort and small expense and NO WORRIES later on down the river with all new wires.

jus my Dos Centavos

how do you rewire a boat ???? One Wire at a Time, Sweet Jesus, One Wire at a Time !!!!!

If you don't want split wire loom then use hose. I wouldn't have much to say about it if there watching, it's your boat!
But, being brave from a safe distance....Split loom allows easier testing/diagnosing of shorts down the road, or replacing one wire in a run. Cleaner friction points instead of marking/rubbing what it touches and once rubber starts to break down it's messy.
We see looms last quite a while. Rubber hose in the sun ,a few years, maybe.
If you are only going to be covering the splice area and want it sealed, then hose will work. Should the splice ever need checking the hose can be sliced open lengthwise. If it's going to be tight sliding hose over the splice there is a wire pulling lube electricians use if you have any around.( Electricians or wire pulling lube.)
Liquid electrical tape seals gaps around connectors if a critical location and a gap won't seal from heatshrink, careful if ever used it can be messy if applied too heavy.
I spliced a transducer cable(ooops, flipped the boat on to it one winter) and coated it with it and it worked great.

You are gaining. =D>

Mr. Johnny,

The internal wiring harness was in great shape. It is all hooked back up and ready to go. I did all of that last winter when I tore that old motor down and went back up with it.

I did not consider there could possibly be another way. And I surely did not think about directly hook everything up. Thank you for that idea. I'll pass that info on to the hubby and see what he thinks about it. It may be a better way to go. I just hate splices, but I do know that they can be done safely and sufficiently...
One wire at a time Sweet Jesus! :D

Thanks!

Waterwaif,

I'm talking about running a hose the whole 8' of new wire. Use it like a loom, so to speak. My thought on that is so that all new wires are in a loom, and up, out of the way from any water. I would go past the splice and overlap the old rubber loom; zip tie and heat shrink it there.

Funny you mentioned an electricians lube. It's almost like a dry lube. No friction; no oily mess. Yes, Sir, I know what it is. I also understand what you are saying about a split loom being easier to find shorts, or run another wire. It is. There again, I am just thinking about being water proof. Perhaps I am not thinking about it right.

See, this is why I appreciate you guys so much. Y'all make me think outside the box. :D

Yeah, I am talking about the split loom also.
and in my world, any wire that is not spliced, is waterproof.
I guess i have fixed too many previous owners shortcuts in the electrical dept.

and here is my next "project" . . . just got it home 30 minutes ago.
Borum Boat 001.jpg
gonna give the old girl a warm bubble bath, spray on some perfume,
small glass of red wine, slap on some lipstick and this old girl is gonna SHINE tonight LOL

https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=139&p=394447#p394447

If you add length by splicing, you are going to solder the connections, right? Soldering is the way to go, and easy to do.

CMOS

CMOS said:
If you add length by splicing, you are going to solder the connections, right? Soldering is the way to go, and easy to do.

CMOS

Butt connections and heat shrink, I think, but I could be wrong. Hubby says he'd like to see me add in water proof fuses at the splice. Since he is the "wiring genus" in this family, guess I'll take his advice. (He'll probably end up wiring it anyway.....he's a perfectionist on wiring.) I suppose since he wires semi's and big motor homes, he might know what he's doing on a little 6 strand loom. :wink:

Key switch won't be here for another week or so. That's ok, I want to play with my grand kids anyway. :mrgreen:

So, for now, think I'll throw a tarp on her to keep this 100* heat and sun off her new wood. I'll post back when I have good news and more progress on her. :)

M

Even butt connection can oxidize. Soldering is a hermetic connection and will never oxidize. Betcha hubby can handle a soldering iron. :)

CMOS