Look what I did tonight.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassboy1

TinBoats Sponsor
Reaction score
This is what I saw once I got to the ramp in the dark. No biggie, running this river, I'm due this a few times. I'll get a used/rebuilt one and be good to go. Worst case scenario, a new one is 80 bucks.

Boatprop004-1.jpg

Then I get home, and in better light, this is what I see.
Boatprop012.jpg

Boatprop008.jpg

Boatprop001.jpg

Furthermore, the prop shaft is bent. I haven't yet put the dial indicator to it, but it is bent far enough to be noticeable turning it by hand. There is a chance that the shaft was bent beforehand, as I never put a dial indicator to it, but my dad and I had the gearcase apart and resealed it, and I can't imagine both of us missing a bent prop shaft as we reinstalled everything.

The good news is that the shear pin is still in perfect condition. :roll:

Whats more is that I have a parts motor for this engine. However, the reason it is a parts motor is that certain parts are damaged. Those parts include: prop shaft, skeg, among other things (pinion gear, flywheel).

Rock, I believe.

I was fishing a notoriously shallow/rocky river, that when the dam just upstream is generating, is fine to run a prop rig. (when the water is slack, you've gotta have a UHMW bottomed jet rig, and even some of those guys won't run it, after tearing too much stuff up). I had measured how long it took the water to drop in this area after generation had stopped the past couple times I had been up there. However, tonight, either they stopped the flow early, or conditions were different and the flow dropped quicker than it had the last few times I had been. Either way, the river dropped about around 45 minutes sooner than I had figured on, and I didn't take notice of the lower water level.

Anyway, I'm making a short run upriver (made this same run 2 hours before, as well as numerous times over the past 3 weeks), and a couple hundred yards short of my destination, WHAM. Great, that's gonna leave a mark. I then notice the river is lower. At this point, it is only 1 or 1.5 ft. lower than it was when generating. Still enough water to navigate relatively easily, but you have to be careful. I knew that there would be nothing I could do to fix anything on the water, and I still needed to get back to the ramp on the motor (not to mention beat the falling water, as I have never been out during falling water to know how fast I was to loose the rest of the water), so I didn't even bother to check the damage up there. At the ramp, I thought the only damage was the prop. It wasn't until I got home to find the skeg torn up (not a big deal - I can fix that without too much trouble), and the bent prop shaft (little bigger deal).

:( Sorry to hear and see that. Hope your up and running soon!!

Best of luck!!

cajuncook1

Ouch! #-o

How do you pland to fix the skeg? I have a similar bend in mine (fortunately no cracks) and I have learned that you can bend them back using a couple of sledge hammers, as long as you go slowly.

Cheers,
BC

BaitCaster said:
Ouch! #-o

How do you pland to fix the skeg? I have a similar bend in mine (fortunately no cracks) and I have learned that you can bend them back using a couple of sledge hammers, as long as you go slowly.

Cheers,
BC

If I do decide to fix the skeg (as oppose to slap a complete used gearcase on), I'll see if I can't persuade it straight, then TIG the crack back up with 4043 filler. If I can't persuade it straight, I'll cut it smooth, and fabricate a new skeg out of a scrap of plate and weld it up.

Captain Ahab said:
Glad you enjoy fixing stuff :LOL2:

Har har har. :roll:

Fixing stuff ain't the problem. Paying for parts is.

Well you know its not IF but WHEN for any of us, still hate it when it happens! last time for me was a submerged block a trotliner left in the shallow part of our exit slew to the main river, that one cost a prop ....... #-o

Dang. :shock:

All of you guys whacking props and skegs is making me glad that we are taking my buddy's boat in the morning. :lol:

My prop is $400 to replace and I've already scuffed the face of it once on a sandbar that I didn't know was there. :shock:

Latest posts