Looking for a Merc expert With some extra time!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunk50

Reaction score
I have a 2008 17' Tracker Grizzly it is rated for a 60HP tiller and that is what I put on it. I have a 2006 60HP (new) Merc 4 stroke TILLER with tilt and trim. I thought I could handle it and I really can if I go fairly slow but I have to be really really careful as when I turn it, it can be instant and sharp. Tried adjusting the resistance but that really doesn't help. What I want to do is build my own console and convert it. I need someone to be willing to look at some e-bay adds or put me in touch with someone that has what I need at a reasonable price. Control box, cables, steering wheel and cable. I think boat is to wide for a stick steering outfit but I would really like to make it a center console if at all possible. I am handy, I may not know the proper name but I can figure out how to install the items if I have them. Anyone got the time???

This is a link to my boat conversion on Tinboats: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8057

If my resources are correct,those motors can't be converted from tiller to remote steering.The issue lies in the part where the tiller handle connects.They are different and would require and engine tear down to change,if they are interchangeable.It would probably be more economical to sell and buy a remote steer motor with gauges and controls.

NOT what I wanted to hear but if that's what it is then that's what it is. Thanks much for the reply!

Ok , just took a good look. i don't think it would take 2 minutes to remove the tiller and bracket. It appears to be two bolts and it all comes off. i'm going to have to check further.

ben2go said:
If my resources are correct,those motors can't be converted from tiller to remote steering.The issue lies in the part where the tiller handle connects.They are different and would require and engine tear down to change,if they are interchangeable.It would probably be more economical to sell and buy a remote steer motor with gauges and controls.

Ben might be right. I'm not sure. The part I see a problem with is: can you take off your tiller and get the steering linkage or arm to bolt up. You have the hole for the steering ram (circled in red). You will probably need to talk to your dealer.

Attachments

• 2009_0516BretonSound0010.JPG
    2009_0516BretonSound0010.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 550
  • merc.jpg
    merc.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 550
ben2go said:
It's the bracket that holds all of that and is usually bolted down with the power head.It maybe different than I was told.

Ben, that's what I thought you were saying your source was saying so I really took a good look. The tiller, shift arm, and bracket are all on one metal bracket on the motor. it almost looks like the older smaller motors where you actually rest the motor on that bracket when you take it off the boat. If that makes sense! At any rate the tiller and sift linkage are both on a bracket that comes separate from the motor with two 3/8 bolts that attach it to the motor. There would have to be another bracket but a very basic one that I could easily fabricate if I had to but the way it looks and the way it comes off they have to make a bracket to replace it for steering arm. like I said, I am checking also but hve not found a definitive answer. Thanks for your help though. Dunk

Specknreds said:
Ben might be right. I'm not sure. The part I see a problem with is: can you take off your tiller and get the steering linkage or arm to bolt up. You have the hole for the steering ram (circled in red). You will probably need to talk to your dealer.

Spec, you are entirely correct. just above the red circle is the tiller. The bracket holding the tiller and shifter comes right off. The tilt tube looks like every other tilt tube for steering cable. Your second photos shows a shiny bracket attached to the steering linkage. That would be very simple to make but I really believe that Merc. makes it. It apears to be a very easy swap. I have sent a couple e-mails to some Merc. dealers but have not heard back. thanks for the response though, Dunk

dunk50 said:
Specknreds said:

Spec, you are entirely correct. just above the red circle is the tiller. The bracket holding the tiller and shifter comes right off. The tilt tube looks like every other tilt tube for steering cable. Your second photos shows a shiny bracket attached to the steering linkage. That would be very simple to make but I really believe that Merc. makes it. It apears to be a very easy swap. I have sent a couple e-mails to some Merc. dealers but have not heard back. thanks for the response though, Dunk

OOOOO.This is interesting.It would be great to just change brackets to convert from tiller.Please keeps us informed on what you find out please.I was looking at the 40HP Merc 4 stroke Bigfoot remote steer motor for a boat I am planning to build.If it's easy to convert from tiller,I maybe able to find a good used motor and convert it.

Thanks for the help. I did get a message back from a dealer saying that the kit is available. he is checking prices. I will check with your brother also. Thanks again

It can be converted. Yes you unbolt the tiller handle and then there is a different end to the arm of the motor that you have to bolt on and then you have to buy the control box, steering cable and shift cables and the steering linkage. For my Yamaha it would be anywhere from $1500-$2000.

I don't have prices on merc, but I bet I could get them.

Latest posts