looking for somebody to rebuild a carb - north GA

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caver101

Reaction score
I have a 1981 evinrude 25hp motor. I have the OEM carb rebuild kit with a new float. I just don't have the time nor the knowledge to do it correctly.

Does anybody know of a good shade-tree mechanic that can re-build my carb and tune it correctly? I have talked to the two local marine dealers and the price they want is absurd.

Anybody know of anybody in the North GA area? I am in Dalton, GA, and don't mind a little drive. Preferably I would like to watch so I can learn a thing or two.

If I can not find a reasonable price I am going to attempt it myself......lots of questions will be asked :)

Thanks for your help!

I emailed you and bassboy1... he's who I would have do that kind of thing if he's got the time.. he's over in Cartersville.

I just took my motor to Ray's Marine in Jasper... I was going to have Dawson look at it until I stripped the throttle

Caver 101, do it yourself, its really not that hard, just make sure you have the float height right, and dont try to seat the set screws to tight, and its a piece of cake. 25 horse rude, single carb right, Replace everything in the kit, be careful, rudes and johnson carbs have a bad habit of leaking air around the siphon tubes. Just make sure you use sealer around all of the internal movable parts. If it were more than one carb and your first time, I would say let someone else do it, because of syncing, but one carb, piece of cake.

Go to youtube and type in Johnson carb rebuild.

Hey DEARL.......What kind of sealer are you talking about? I have never heard of anyone putting sealer of any kind inside a carb. What's the prurpose?
Using everything in the kit is impossible since it comes with a lot of extra parts for other years or models. I assume you mean to replace every part in the kit that your carburetor has.

One thing I like doing is soaking the carb overnight and then douching it with carb cleaner and blowing it out with compressed air. I use oil based paint thinner to soak the carbs in.

I had a guy up in Jasper work on my motor for me... he did a lot and didn't charge me much either. I think he's the only guy working there... little backwoods, but he knows what he's doing and won't charge an arm and a leg.

Roy's Marine - 706-253-3478

Pardon me, but I what I should have said was use everything in the kit that is relative to your type carb. You wouldn't beleive How many people rebuild their carb themselves and wont even change out the core plugs. Carburetors are very precise instruments, and are designed to mix the proper amount of air and fuel so the engine runs as designed. If you get air leaks, that throws everything out of wack. The sealer I spoke of is made by OMC and it is called ultra lock, it is designed to be used anywhere you have idle set screws, low speed screws, emulsion pick up tubes etc. If you re-build your carb, take a syringe filled with alcohol invert the carb and shoot it into the emulsion tube, if you get alcohol around the tube, that will be an air leak, and can disrupt the performance of the carb. All of the fuel that is used to run your motor, will come from this tube, if you have air leaks around it, it short circuits the venturi, end result you dont have the proper amount of fuel going through the carb as you should, performance problems will follow. Seeing as how your engine oil is mixed with this fuel, I would make very sure that the carb was built right and performs as it should. $25.00 FOR A CARB KIT OR $500.00 A CYLINDER FOR A RE-BUILD.

look on any boat motor forum.

If you rebuild enough carbs you will have to use a sealer one day, not everytime, but eventually you will. I remember one that drove me nuts, on 1987 25 johnson, and eventually I took it to an ole timer that was retired from the buisness. After I watched his attention to detail, My problem was air leaks. He used a sealer, not specificly the one Im saying but a sealer non the less, and the motor ran like a new one. Every carb that I rebuild on my own motor or for someone else, If need be I will use a sealer, not every one of them will need it, but there will be that one.
Get a manual for your specific outboard and I will bet you that it makes refrence to a sealer when rebuilding a carb.

https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=210026&highlight=omc+ultra+lock

https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=86220&highlight=omc+ultra+lock

Latest posts