Lowe 1436 mod and resto FINISHED NEW PICS!!!!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sweet motor. I used to have a '61 QD-22 myself. Here's a great little maintenance link, should you ever need it.

https://www.leeroysramblings.com/johnson_QD.htm

Thanks guys!!

I went through inspection this morning and got registered. Hoping to be on the water by next weekend!! If I havnt mentioned it allready, my decals will be blaze/hunter orange. Should look cool against the camo!!

BassBlaster said:
Thanks guys!!

I went through inspection this morning and got registered. Just sent bulldog a PM to order my decals. Hoping to be on the water by next weekend!! If I havnt mentioned it allready, my decals will be blaze/hunter orange. Should look cool against the camo!!

Can't wait to see those on there. If you don't mind me asking, what is the cost for them? I need to order some from him.

I added some other decals for the back of the boat and I havnt gotten a quote yet. The original quote for just the registration numbers was $25.

Its finished!!! Okay it was allready finished but now its legal to be on the water!! I picked up my decals today and got them put on. They contrast very nicely with the camo. The sun made them look strange in the pic but these are blaze orange or hunter orange. I also decided my boat name was Crappie Slayer!!! Because I put that on there, I'll probably never catch another crappie. I hope not as I have a crappie tourney in Sept. Was actually suppose to fish one in early May but missed registration since my boat wasnt complete. Oh well, my boat is finished and thats all that matters right now!! Weatherman is calling for 82 tomorrow and I have to work. Calling for 50 on Sat. Guess I'll just be cold cause I'll be on the lake!!!

Heres my last pics for this build......

DSC01719.JPG

DSC01720.JPG

DSC01721.JPG

So the boat made its maiden voyage today and it didnt go well.

I went to one of my favorite local crappie lakes. Its a small electric only lake. I went there specifically because I knew there wouldnt be any boat traffic. First off, the boat floats incredibly well. I was a little worried that a 36" boat would be a little more wobbly than I would have liked but its actually fairly stable. Much more stable that I was expecting. I can move about pretty easily without getting that tippy feeling. Thats a huge plus since I plan to fish with my 5 year old!! So, I trolled all the way across the lake to a little cove where I always catch crappie. First cast went right into the brush and I was snagged. No problem, I'll troll up in there and get my jig back. I got out of the snag and tried to back out of the brush and the trolling motor suddenly has no power. How is this? It has worked in every test during construction and just trolled all the way across the lake without fail. I decide to dig out my emergency paddle and start making my way back to the ramp. Well, its windy and the wind is stronger than me and my paddle. Im paddleing like mad but the boat is only moving sideways. The wind is pushing me toward the dam. This is a lake with absolutely nothing to keep a boat from running over the dam. It dosnt have any gates or anything. I started to panic and dedcided ODNR is just going to have to write me a ticket because Im not going over the dam. I ran back to my little outboard and fired it up. I started cruising toward the ramp and my outboard quit. What the heck? Ive only run this outboard in a barrel prior to this point but it has never quit. Why is it quiting now. I pump up the tank and fire it back up. I did this two or three times before I got to the ramp. I got out of the water, got everything strapped down and decided to mess with the TM. While looking everything over, I discovered a switch I wasnt familiar with. On the left side of the foot pedal is a 3 way switch. Forward allows the momentary foot switch to work. Backward turns the power on continuosly and the middle is off. Somehow while I was fighting the brush for my jig, I must have bumped this switch with my foot and cut the power to my motor. Now Im relieved that theres nothing wrong with the boat but mad that all this happened, I decided to just call it a day and come home. On the ride home I was thinking about my outboard cutting out and why that could be and then realized that everytime it quit, I had to pump up the tank again to get it to start. Then I remembered the other day, I backed the cap off on the tank to relieve pressure and never tightened it back up so the pressure coming from the motor thats suppose to pressurize the tank was all escaping through the cap. So, all my problems were my own fault and Im still mad that I ruined what could have been a good day on the water. Oh well. If nothing else, I learned some things about my rig and I can garauntee these things wont happen again!! My wife also got a kick out of my story. Oh and the game warden must have been off today cause no one was waiting for me at the ramp to write me a ticket for running a gas motor in an electric only lake!!

Well take it as lesson's learned. Everyone makes bonehead mistakes, I do it all the time......then I just laugh and move on. #-o

Glad you could make it out! I've been out there a few times already. Only caught a small LM back in that cove behind the island. The wind lately has been crazy! Don't you just love the boat ramp there??? The wind always blows me past it. Very frustrating!!

I went out again Yesterday and had no problems. Boat ran beautifully!! No fish though. had one bite all day and missed it, lol.

Yeah I hear ya about that ramp. Its also way too shallow, needs to be a touch steeper. I also wish it was further North. I prefer to fish in the creek N of 665 but I dont think I can get there and back on my one battery. I'm thinking of heading over in the morning. Im on vacation this week. Ill be around that island. Ive caught alot of crappie around it over the years!!

Very nice job on you're boat! Great story to learn from, the kind of situation I can definitely see finding myself in with my luck. Thank God you made it out safe and as you stated, a funny story now to look back on and learn from! Not having the warden waiting to give you a ticket is an added bonus! Thanks for sharing this story, will undoubtedly save someone else reading this post some headaches and stress down the road to check the things you mention on the TM.

excellent build i have the same boat. it was given to me. i need to cut the transom off however and the pods in the back were cut out. so i have a little work to do. what did you use for the floor,sides, and decking. i see it was all built with aluminum angle framing.

Latest posts